Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi I have a Neff ceramic hob T172.0 and seem to have a familiar

Customer Question

Hi I have a Neff ceramic hob T172.0 and seem to have a familiar problem as others. The two hobs on the right hand side do not work properly if at all. The front one does start but usually stops probably if and when one of the left hand hobs starts. I am wondering whether it is worth considering a repair or to research a replacement! It is probably 8/9 years old!
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Could you let me have the ENr for the appliance and can you confirm it is a ceramic hob not an induction unit? ~ Thanks ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

Hi Ian, it is a ceramic hob. ENr 1722NO /02. FD8401 02248.

Dales-Electronic :

Could you just check that there are no letters before the number and also that the number is ***** I cant find any information on this model at all ie ckr1722NO/02

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

The model no. on the instruction manual is T 172..0. Under that is mentioned 800 391 34.

Dales-Electronic :

OK well I have a U1722NOGB/02 but that is an oven not a hob

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

I cannot see any other no. on the product label other than ETT 28 Made in Germany and KET1729 in top right of label!

Dales-Electronic :

Are you looking at the label on the underside of the hob?

Dales-Electronic :

Neff ceramic hobs start with a T followed by two numbers and then a letter

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

Yes it is T1722NO/02

Dales-Electronic :

OK we're cooking ~ just checking the handbook

Dales-Electronic :

OK informed decision for you I guess, the cost of the control module (bearing in mind you have an intermittent problem) is in excess of £200, if you then work on there being two hotplates gone, the smallest and cheapest is £75 up to the biggest double in excess of £90 add to that the cost of getting it done and if it were me (which it isn't) I would seriously consider getting a new one ~ if you will take my advice stick with ceramic or halogen rather than the new induction as generally they are more reliable and cheaper to repair ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Can I be of further service to you??

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

Hi Ian, thank you very much for confirming my initial feeling on the matter.

Dales-Electronic :

Could you kindly rate my service, this allows me to close the job down on the system but at the same time lets you ask further questions once this is done, if you would like advice on new products feel free to ask ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

However, I must admit I wasn't sure about whether to consider induction but did wonder about the reliability of this type of hob particularly after paying considerably more in the first place!

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

Yes I will rate the service and if you have any recommendation on a similar product it would be welcome. My hob is above drawers rather than an oven. Thank you.

Dales-Electronic :

Yes I totally agree, add to that that you need special pans and that can set you back a further £200 that is some considerable investment. Personally, I have a flush plate ceramic hob downstairs which works well and I wouldn't spend extra on what is a bit gimmicy to my mind.

JACUSTOMER-m9sqagvw- :

Thanks again.

Dales-Electronic :

Your major problem is to get one to fit in the existing hole, once you have researched that look at the manufacturers labour guarantee, if you get one with 2+ years on labour it will be a decent appliance ~ Ian