George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Just tried to use oven on my gas cooker for the first time

Customer Question

Just tried to use oven on my gas cooker for the first time since it was moved for a kitchen refurbishment. The flame only stays on for about 3 minutes then extinguishes. Any suggestions? Thanks. Steve
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting responses, I'm not constantly available.

Can you give me the full Make, Model Number and Product Code please

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

Sorry, No. It's my girlfriend's cooker and she's 46 miles away. If it's any help its one of those with the glass lid over the hob that you hinge up to use the hob.

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

Could you tell me where on the cooker the information is likely to be found so it can be looked for

George-Allsorts :

The information will be on a label somewhere surrounding the oven as you open the door

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

OK. Girlfriend has taken a picture of the label & I've uploaded it to photobucket here

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/stevemb300/acooker/20141209_192425_zpscbde32d3.jpeg hope you can make some sense of that

George-Allsorts :

Hi Steve, sorry, that photo is not clear enough... the make should also be on the front of the cooker

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

The make is yes - I thought I'd put in the original question bit I see i didn't - it's a Belling

George-Allsorts :

Whilst we await that,,, tell her to use a hair dryer on the hottest selection on the thermocouple at the rear of the oven at the bottom

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

She'll ask how long for - will do

George-Allsorts :

Good 5 mins... dry everythingoff,, get rid of moisure

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

She's doing that - will let you know when it's done

George-Allsorts :

Oki doki... The thermocouple seems to be the issue.. if you can't get it to work it'll have to be replaced..

Do you know if she has been attempting to clean the oven?

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

Thermocouple was my first thought as well. Oven hasn't been cleaned since the kitchen refurb started - so at least 4 weeks back. Can you think of any reason why just moving the cooker (and getting some dust inside the oven) would cause sudden problems?

George-Allsorts :

Air lock (doubtful)
Thermocouple (highly likely) Caused by cleaning and knocking it out of position
Thermocouple (Likely) damp or dirty

George-Allsorts :

Whilst we are waiting, can I ask you to take a moment to rate my assistance/responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Once rated, I will assist you further with the fault... The higher the rating the better for me.
This will initially close our chat but we can still re-open and continue our conversation

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

Yes. Will do that in a minute - but first - girlfriend said that lots of dust got blown around by her hairdryer - could dust on the thermocouple cause this problem? She's now lit the oven again to see if it stays alight

George-Allsorts :

Yes, dust/dirt can cause the problem

George-Allsorts :

What happens is that the dirt/dust prevents the thermocouple from sensing the heat

JACUSTOMER-cjze6db2- :

Thanks, ***** ***** that I would have expected then - though my only experience is with the thermocouples that operate the flame failure devices on cookers in canal boats.

George-Allsorts :

similar yes... Causes the valve to shut off if the flame/heat cannot be sensed

Thanks for that

Has she been back in touch yet?