Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I have 2 3kw oil filled radiators which are tripping the main

Customer Question

I have 2 3kw oil filled radiators which are tripping the main board when switched on. I suspect they are leaking to earth - what can be done
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi . do you know what one is tripping the board?

JACUSTOMER-vu5kv0jf- :

We plugged one heater in first and left it and then the other one and after a short time the board tripped. I might add both heaters are in a large conservatory which is split in two on the main board. ie the left hand side of the conservatory is on one RCD trip switch and the right hand side is on a separate RCD trip switch.

Customer:

So dobyou know what heater is tripping?

JACUSTOMER-vu5kv0jf- :

No - but I think both will have the same problem as several years ago I had the same problem and took both heaters to a local appliance electrical repair shop and he fixed them - unfortunately he has since retired. I am prepared to try a repair myself - just need to know where to start. It is not the plug or the cables. I suspect the element is the problem leaking to earth - does that make sense

Customer:

Yes , that's what I was thinking . the heating element may need changing. Best to check it vwith a multimeter on ohms but you may be able to see the damage on it .

JACUSTOMER-vu5kv0jf- :

OK - do you know where I get a new element if that is required - ie CEF which is a national electrical wholesaler and how do you get into the element part of the delonghi heater

Customer:

http://www.4delonghi.co.uk. spares can be ordered here. The unit panels will unscrew

JACUSTOMER-vu5kv0jf- :

Can I try this but leave this enquiry open and if so how do I do that

Customer:

Of course . just come back on line and you will be able to log in and continue. The only thing, it will time out in about 7 days

JACUSTOMER-vu5kv0jf- :

Thank you very much - I will try and see the fault at the weekend.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Hi , would you mind rating my answer , thanks