George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have an AEG 8800-4-A double oven. Both ovens are failing

Customer Question

I have an AEG 8800-4-A double oven. Both ovens are failing to reach the selected temperature by about 40 degrees, although the oven beeps to say the selected temp has been reached. Both the top and bottom elements are getting hot in the lower and upper oven and the oven temperature has been measured using an oven thermometer.
Could this be a failure of both upper and lower thermostats or is there a more probable cause?
William.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Please supply the PNc or Product Code of the appliance

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

Model 8800-4-A

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

product number ********* /p>

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

D8800-4-A , product no: ********* /p>

George-Allsorts :

Can you repost the product number placing a # ***** of the nuber so that I can view it

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

ok .... I dont have a hash' it's nine four four one seven one three one three.

George-Allsorts :

I am asking you to place a # ***** of the number ... otherwise the number is ***** out at this side

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

has it worked spelling it?

George-Allsorts :

Yes thank you for that, I am just looking at the service manual to see what design features your appliance has...

George-Allsorts :

#94417131300

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

I've got to go out, back in a couple of hours, thanks. William.

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for waiting William... There seems to be nothing in the oven design that would cause this..

Can I ask you what type of oven thermometers you are using to measure the temperature?

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

it is a salter oven thermometer. we noticed food is not cooking properly which is why we checked the oven against it. i'm going to town so will get another in case it is the salter that is wrong. could it be the oven casing temp cut out switch that is faulty?

George-Allsorts :

I understand what you are saying but if that were to cut out it would not normally reset itself... and your oven has two separate thermostats as oposed to one dual thermostat so even though unlikely, it is possible, that the thermostats are causing this, or other parts... once you have tested the temperature again we can test further

George-Allsorts :

If you have some test equipment we can do some tests on the individual items

George-Allsorts :

OK.. looking further into this at the moment... it seenms that the oven thermostatic controls are different on your model... I will be back in a few moments

George-Allsorts :

Let me know when you are back, when we can then test a couple of parts

George-Allsorts :

If there is a problem after testing the temperature it lies with one or more of three parts...

George-Allsorts :

Have you re-tested the oven temperature yet?

JACUSTOMER-1cifhqf8- :

Hi George. Sorry for the delay. I have checked the thermometer in my neighbors oven and it seems to be correct. any ideas on what to check next?

George-Allsorts :

Your appliance does not have conventional thermostats, it has sensors.. therefore, we need to test them as they, or the board that controls them could be the issue.

George-Allsorts :

Do you have a multimeter?