Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Miele W360WPS washing machine not spinning. It does not appear

Miele W360WPS washing machine not spinning. It does not appear to be the belt. I have checked online for diagnosis and suggestions seem to be belt or motor. If it is the motor would I be right in thinking it is obsolete. Or could it be something else. The machine is 14 years old but I love it and this is the first trouble it has ever given me. Don't like the new Eco ones as they take forever I believe.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If the drum isnt turning then its possibley the carbon brushes in the motor. As at the back of the motor are the carbon brush holders. If the carbon wares it stops the drum from turning and you get this fault.

Now to access this you need to open the front of the washer and look under the drum. There you will see the back of the motor. There is a plastic holder screwed to the back. Remove these and the brushes are in there. If they have worn then you need to replace them and that should cure it.

But if it is the motor then im afraid they are listed as obsolete now so you wont get hold of the motor anymore. But i say 7 times out of 10 its the carbon brushes rather then the motor itself.

As to the new washers you are right they do take a lot longer then the older ones but some do have a fast wash option which cuts a bit of time off. But this is now the norm on all brands of washing machine as its all engery saving from the makers so even though it takes longer it still uses less electric then the older models.

So check the carbon brushes checked out if you can as fingers crossed its just them at fault here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is turning freely. Is it easy to get the front of the machine off.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Its not that bad. To open it you need to remove the soap drawer and you will see a few screws around there. They will be torx screws (star shapped)
Then open the door and you will see 3 bolts around the seal, Remove this.
Then open the filter door in the bottomright corner and unclip the black hose thats on the plastic door there.

Now you can swing the front cabinet open from the left.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you think given the age of the machine that the carbon brushes might also be obsolete and if not where would you suggest I get them.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
The carbon brushes are still avaible on these which is good news.

Click here for them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Daniel one more question, does the machine have to be laid down on it's front to get to the motor. It is extremely heavy!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
No you just leave it standing as it is and open the front as above and then you need to lay down and reach into the washer under the drum and remove the plastic holder at hte back of the motor from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Daniel. I appreciate your help and patience. Kind regards Jennifer
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jennifer

Your very welcome. If you need more info just get back to me. But if you could rate the answer i gave that would be great. You can still get back to me even after rating thats not a problem.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.