Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I turned off my Samsung RS21 american style fridge-freezer

I turned off my Samsung RS21 american style fridge-freezer to fit the modified stat on the fridge coil to stop it icing up and rubbing on the fan - I carried out this successfully, however since I turned it back on the fridge is fine but the freezer is not cooling down, but before I turned it off it was fine. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK I want you to carry out a system reset which will also tell me what is wrong with the appliance - I need you to look at the two temperature indicators, you will see that they are made up of vertical and horizontal bars seven in total, can you see them? I direct you there because when I do the system check any faults are shown up by these bars ~ so are you happy with this so far?

Customer:

Yea, no problem.

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you look at the front display panel you will see four buttons two at the top and two at the bottom. I need you to press the two at the top and hold them in, the display will start to flash and then the display will go blank, once it goes blank you should see either a vertical or horizontal bar or perhaps two in the freezer or fridge temperature display. Note these down and come back to me ~ OK sofar?

Customer:

Screen wnet blank with no bars lit at all

Dales-Electronic :

Did you keep the buttons held in all the time until everything went blank?

Customer:

yes

Dales-Electronic :

How long has the freezer been running?

Customer:

About 3 hours now - it had been off for about 6 hours.

Dales-Electronic : Ah OK ~ leave it running for the rest of the night and come back on here in the morning, I will be on here from 8am, it takes about 8 hours to get down to temperature in the freezer. The blank screen indicates that all is ok electronically usually if you have a problem and get a blank screen it is the compressor (motor) that is faulty but lets leave it until the morning and we'll do somemore checks when we know we have definately got a fault ~ Ian
Customer:

Ok no problem - thanks

Customer:

Checked the fridge this morning- reading -20, so thought it was ok, however it's not cold inside and no ice cubes being made. Checked fault codes again and no bars lit at all. Any more ideas?

Dales-Electronic :

If I was you I would go back to the fridge area and check that you have connected all the connectors in their correct plugs, with this model it is possible to plug things into their wrong slots which lead to all manner of problems, once you have done this come back on to me and we will take it further.

Customer:

checked the plugs and they're ok. to be honest I think I'm going to scrap it and buy a new one.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.