Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer model No. fffl 1810g. Sometime

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer model No. fffl 1810g. Sometime ago it was repaired after my wife and I noticed that a banging noise developed coming from the appliance. I called out a repair engineer who explained that ice had built up near the internal fan and was being hit by the rotating fan. Now, a couple of years later, the same thing is happening. It seems to me that this appliance is not fit for purpose. Have you come accross this problem and is the explanation given by the repair engineer correct or might this noise be something else.
Allen Brown
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Would you recheck this model number please, I can see no record of one with this model number listed ~ thanks ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

I will go to the machine and have a look. It won't take me long.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I am around just ping back on here and I'll pick up the call

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

The model is FFFL 1810G

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

Ian have you received the model number from me?

Dales-Electronic :

OK lets start by asking you how old you think the appliance is and then I will talk to you about your specific questions ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

It is about lee than 2 years old.

Dales-Electronic :

OK so it is still under the manufacturers 5 year parts warranty and the repairer that came out and fixed it the last time was from Hotpoint is that correct?

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

We purchased the machine on 27/7/2014 and the repairer was from Dometsic & General I believe.

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

Ian I'm sorry I've got myself into a muddle. We purchased the machine on 24/08/13 and the repair was on 27/7/2014. The receipt for the repair has Indesit as the heading.

Dales-Electronic :

Hi Allen ~ OK if the engineer came from D&G then your parts guarantee is now invalid (unless this engineer was in a Hotpoint Van) , this repair (to maintain the parts warranty) can only be carried out by a Hotpoint employed engineer so there is no point in going back to Hotpoint with a complaint unless this is the case. However, lets move on and try and resolve you problem. This appliance during its life has had a number of issues to do with defrosting within the freezer compartment. They have had various modifications to the back panel to try and get around the issue so in answer to your question in general I think they have had limited success. The original engineer was quite right in his suggestion that this was the fault and to be honest if you have had two years without a freeze-up you have done well. ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

The reason that I am being quite careful in my choice of words here is that D&G some year or so ago started to pass all of its work to a company called Repaircare who are not Hotpoint approved ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

OK Ian. My wife thinks that the repair was done by Idesit Hotpoint and my receipt, that I have now found, suggests that was so and is actually dated 27/02/2014. So what should I do? Contact Idesit Hotpoint again Monday I suppose?

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

I'm not sure if we've finished our session or not. Are you still there?

Dales-Electronic :

Ah excellent, better than I thought, if I were you Allen, I would contact their customer services on Monday and ask for a service call, explain that they were out in February and that it now has the same problem and you should get the repair carried out free of charge. Part of their service commitment to you as a customer is that they warranty any repairs for a period of 12 months. Customer service is located in Peterborough the original number was 01733 568989 or if you cant get through on that try the direct customer care line 08440 903444. If you handle them carefully You should get sorted before Xmas, if however it is going to be after Xmas, just switch the appliance off for two days with the doors open and towels across the front and you should be OK certainly until the New Year. Would you now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below ~ once this is done you will be allocated a unique number by the computer that allows you to ask any future question free of charge. I hope I have been of help and can I wish you a Happy Christmas and Good Luck in the New Year ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Sorry for the interruption earlier, when you log on it transfers you to the American site which has a time limit on each call, we have to redirect it back to the UK link to stop them cutting you off ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

Thanks for your help and advice Ian. I'll do what you suggest. Why should I open the freezer doors ?Happy Christmas to you too.

Dales-Electronic :

What you have is a block of ice at the back of the fan housing that will eventually cause the temperature in the fridge to rise too high ~ if you allow it to defrost naturally and can clear it off then once you restart the fridge/freezer you should be OK for some good time before it freezes up again ~ the suggestion is to allow you time to get an engineer in to replace the panel or replace any components in there necessary ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

But by defrosting it at the very least it will work happily until after the holidays should Hotpoint be unable to get to You until the New Year

JACUSTOMER-hhrrbi4y- :

A great answer. I'll do exactly what you say. I won't bother you again.Thanks very much Ian. Goodbye to you. - Allen

Dales-Electronic :

A pleasure Regards ***** ***** and Your wife ~ see you next time around ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.