George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My AG 901 works ok but keeps turning itself off after about

Customer Question

My AG 901 works ok but keeps turning itself off after about 30 secs. I have tried the spare battery unit abut get the same result. Can you help please? It is about 18 months old.
Nick Ellis
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

George-Allsorts :

Can you post the product code for this appliance please

JACUSTOMER-ybnfcmm4- :

There is no data plate on this machine. It is as described, an AEG Ergorapido vacuum cleaner, ref AG 901

JACUSTOMER-ybnfcmm4- :

So can you give me an answer please?

George-Allsorts :

Ok thank you for that information... I shall be back shortly once I have checked on the model information

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. there are three versions of this but the information is nearly identical for each of the product numbers... It seems that there are a few causes that are possible and you would need to test the appliance that you have... are you capable of doing this with the assistance of a service manual?

JACUSTOMER-ybnfcmm4- :

Yes, I have a meter and am fairly electrically au fait; I was looking for the service manual when I found your website..I have the user manual, which is no good.

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. I will supply you with the service manual for the product forthwith

Please take a moment to rate my assistance to you so far..
Please use the smiley faces to do this. anything above three smiley faces will lock you into me and allow you to return at any time to chat to me further on this issue without further cost to you.

One moment whilst I set-up a download of the manual for you

George-Allsorts :

AEG AG901 Service Manual

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I await the download plus instructions from you. I will put in a bonus when I have got the machine working.

The link is there at the bottom of the page .. just click on it to download the Service Manual with directions in it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where at the bottom of the page..cannot see any link and the download arrow says none today??

AEG AG901 Service Manual

Here it is again Nick... thanks for letting me know that you could not see it above

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thank you. The problem seems to be with BOTH the hand-held units, which only run for 20 secs unless you press the ON button again. Nothing in the manual about this fault as far as I can see, and it seems odd that the TWO units both have the same fault. (I was given an extra unit when I bought it). I can dis-assemble one of them but without advice do not know what I am looking for. Is it possible that the batteries have both suffered from reduced capacity?

My first point of call would be to change the NIMH batteries Nick... I have fould with these rechargables that the heat up if they are used when defective... This could cause a thermal problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I would be surprised if they heated up enough to stop the units working after only 20 secs! Where do I get new ones , do you know?

You say that the system runs for 20 secs and then you can run it for a further 20 secs once you press the button again.. This would seem more like a PCB fault than a battery fault.. ie.. a capacitor dropout..

I am about to post you a parts breakdown and parts list for the product
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you not think it odd that both units exhibit the same faut simultaneously..faulty batch perhaps. I got it from a website that specialises in returned or lightly used items, for about half price!

It is commonplace for this to happen... Units are returned by customers for the same reason.. but it maybe that you have the only two returned units out of 1000 sold.

Parts List

Parts Exploded Diagram
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the parts list.

So where is the capacitor? In the Electronics module? or the Battery kit? Which, or both, would you replace?

Presumably I can source these on the website?

If there is adamaged capacitor, it will be on the circuit board... It could also be a thermal cutout if there is a problem with the roller motor