George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My Beko Fridge/freezer CDA 751FS, is freezing in the fridge

Customer Question

My Beko Fridge/freezer CDA 751FS, is freezing in the fridge compartment. The upper half of the back wall of the fridge is icing up in a rectangle shape. Food is freezing.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you give me the serial number from the inner-left side of the fridge compartment

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Hello George

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Serial No: ********** /p>

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

George-Allsorts :

Thank you Richard.. Please re-type it and place a # ***** of it so that I can see it

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

#1010193102

George-Allsorts :

Rhanks Richard... Can you tell me: does the compressor seem to be staying on for a long time?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I have not noticed. How do I detect this and what is a long time?

George-Allsorts :

Well, the compressor should remain on for differing length of time depending on the temperature of the room that it is in and other variances such as the amount of food within it..

George-Allsorts :

However, 5-10 mins at a time would be considered normal

George-Allsorts :

Can you go to the rear of the appliance and feel the compressor for me... you are feeling to test its temperature: cold, warm, or hot.

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

The appliance is in my garage. This model is supposed to be 'garage friendly'.

George-Allsorts :

Also.. you are listening for the fridge turning on/turning off.. that is the compressor operating

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I can check the compressor timing later - does it make much of a noise?

George-Allsorts :

The compressor should be quiet/ish.. but you should here it when stood near to it

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Do you need to know this before moving on? It will take a while to check

George-Allsorts :

The temperature of the compressor and the length of time it is running are quite important to our diagnosing the fault

George-Allsorts :

yes please.. but please, take your time.. you can come back to me...

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Thanks - how do I get back to you? e.g. Can I log off?

George-Allsorts :

If you rate my assistance to you so far, it will lock you to me... you can just return to JA and go to my questions to then find me...To rate.. click on the smiley faces you see.. the more the better for me... You can then return at anytime for further assistance with this problem

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I am new to this service. There is little assistance to rate at this stage and I cannot commit payment based on chat so far. Is there an alternative?

George-Allsorts :

Well.. I don't take the payments so that part I wouldn't know... I am purely an appliance technician here to help you with your problem..

You could take things a little further to give you a little security before rating... However, my promise to you is that I will do all I can to correctly diagnose your problem and give you other types of assistance to assist you in your endeavour to solve the problem you have...That is the reason I am here

George-Allsorts :

I can tell you that at current... my assumption is that your system is low on refrigerant.. however, I don't want to nail that diagnosis to the wall until we have done a few more checks

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

The compressor stops after a few minutes and the fan stops. But I am wondering if it is the fan I can hear?

George-Allsorts :

Did you feel the temperature of the compressor at the time it was working?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

No, I was only listening

George-Allsorts :

can you tell me the product code for your appliance.. it will be on the label inside

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Model is CDA751FS/1

George-Allsorts :

.. is there a long number beginning with 31?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I didn't see that on the label

George-Allsorts :

ok.. is there a long number beginning with 72 then

George-Allsorts :

There are five different versions of your appliance... all with different parts... (Just to let you know why I am asking)

George-Allsorts :

Also, when you say that you have replaced the "Thermo PCB", what do you mean and what made you call it that... Are you talking about the potentiometer in the section where the light is?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

checked again - the only long number is ***** serial no already notified: ********** /p>

George-Allsorts :

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Yes, in the light section. In my ignorance, I thought this was the thermostat

George-Allsorts :

It is of sorts.. so not so completely ignorrant

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

What are the other possible faults and how can I check them please?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

When working, what temp should the compressor be?

George-Allsorts :

Can you check the freezer department for me... pull out a drawer or two... Have a look at the back panel to see if it is frozen up

George-Allsorts :

Warm

George-Allsorts :

too many other possibilities which would confuse you.. I can tell you a few once we get somewhere with this

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I have done this with the top drawer, and it is frost/ice free with the fan working OK. Should I check other drawers?

George-Allsorts :

Try the bottom drawer just for certainty

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

OK

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

No ice

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for that

George-Allsorts :

Can you check the control knob to see if it is correctly orientated

George-Allsorts :

ie.. if you have it at 0 when it would normally be at 5

George-Allsorts :

unlikely though it is

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

It is correct

George-Allsorts :

Are you any good with a multimeter?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I do not have one and never used one

George-Allsorts :

So.. we can't go any further with your diagnosis without the use of a multimeter

The cable with two leads coming out of the potentiometer needs to be checked with a multimeter for its resistance level ... it needs to have a resistance..

The fault could also be the power board that is located at the rear of the appliance in the center middle behind the cover

And then we could have my original thought of Shortage of Refrigerant

I would need you to be able to test for those issues using correct equipment...

Nevertheless, here is a link to an Appliance Technician Search Facility that you may wish to use to Find An Engineer local to you to do the work

Please take a moment to rate my assistance to you so far.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

OK. Can I get back to you later?

George-Allsorts :

I would however certainly be of the opinion that your system is low on gas as the first fault I would be checking if I were the engineer calling out to you

George-Allsorts :

Certainly

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

How can we continue chatting after today?

George-Allsorts :

How did you get back to me earlier?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I just stayed online

George-Allsorts :

Considering I have spent 2 hours with you, you must have been logged out at some point

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

No - see the chatline times.

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Anyway, what do I do? Happy to rate now, if we can continue later

George-Allsorts :

As I stated earlier.. my sole purpose on here is to help you... I will be here for you to ask me questions even if you do not rate me... Nevertheless, I do consider people who rate me before those that don't...

I am an environmentalist who likes to make sure that items don't go to waste when there is no reason and therefore I point them to Find My Recycler if this takes place and work at it constantly from both angles.

In short, you are always welcome to return for further assistance

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Would this be a return to the same question? i.e. I will not be charged for a new session.

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

How do I contact you?

George-Allsorts :

As far as I know.. it gives you a time limit.. I think it is 7 days.. but don't quote me.. Once you time out then I think you would be charged again

George-Allsorts :

Do you not get emails with links in them?

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

Yes. Should I contact you through these or can you provide me with an email address?

George-Allsorts :

You should contact me through those, as this is the system... The problem I have with emails is that doing what I do, I get hundreds per day and most go in the bin.. it would be very easy for the email to go into the waste without being noticed...

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

OK. Thanks George.

George-Allsorts :

You are very welcome... chat to you soon

JACUSTOMER-75hqv9eh- :

I will contact you when I have a multimeter

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. make sure you know how to use it... as there are a few and they are all different so I wouldn't know where your setting are on your one

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

So, now I have a multimeter and had a crash course on Youtube.

Please advise next steps

Gain access to the potentiometer again and unplug the plug with just two wire... seting you multimeter to ohms, measeure the resistance across the two wires

report back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

reading is 10.8

Ok thanks for that Richard... I need you to measure the temperature inside the fridge please.. using a proper fridge thermometer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2.2c and probably falling

Is the frost still on the back wall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

temp now 0.5c

Can you get a £10 note, place it at the edge of the door and shut the door on it... now run the note around the edge of the door to test for lapses in friction
Also, stay with the appliance until the compressor stops running... let me know what the temperature is at that point
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think the compressor is stopping. Temp now -2.3c

Ok... this is what I asked you yesterday to try give you a definative answer..

What is happening here is that the system is short of refrigeration... because of this, the system cannot detect the correct temperature and therefore the compressor keeps running in an attempt to reach the expected temperature at the sensor...

What area of the country do you live in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Middle England

OK, that was an attempt to assist you with a refrigeration regassing engineer.. but hey ho.. Postcode please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry George - DY3 3GG

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please advise the exact location of the thermostat on this particular model. I am interested because I cannot find it!

This unit is not fitted with a thermostat... it is fitted with a sensor which feeds information to the potentiometer.. This is the reason I had you measuring the resistance of the sensor earlier..

Here are two refrigeration engineers near to you.. If you wish I can get some more reliable ones at a further distance

WHYTEGOODS
Cupar
Phone: 01334656601
Mobile: 07549629738
___________________________________

Home Appliance Repair & Parts
Stourbridge
Phone: 07764 478534
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks George

Just one thing - I measured the resistance of the potentiometer not the sensor!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sensor is reading 70 resistance

So that proves that the sensor is working
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for everything George

You are very welcome Richard
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Feedback for George

The recommended engineers you sent me:

One is in Fife, Scotland - the other has not yet responded.

I have spoken with a local refrigeration engineer (contact from my nearby store) who is certain that the problem is the sensor which apparently is a common fault on this model.

Beko do not sell a spare sensor.

Engineer recommends a 24 defrost, followed by warm air applied to the back wall of the fridge to drive off any moisture (which could be the problem) in the sensor. He has had feedback from 2 sources that this has worked.

The sensor on this model is encapsulated in a waterproof compound and therfore will not be affected by moisture.. However, he is correct in saying that Beko don't supply the sensor as a spare part, and even if they did, you would not be able to replace it because it is embedded in the insulation...

I suggest that you contact the Technical Department at Beko UK and request the Sensor resistance levels..