Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

hi my samsung rs21dcns freezer has stop working but the fridge

hi my samsung rs21dcns freezer has stop working but the fridge is working .i cant here the compresser going.i have taken all food out the freezer and tried power freeze but still not working.thanks james
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Hi James, can you get around the back of the unit and take the back cover off, if so be careful doing it as I don't want you to break the water inlet hose on the right hand side. You will need a cross headed screwdrive/power driver to do it ~ are you OK to do this?

Customer:

yeah thats fine

Dales-Electronic :

OK once you have got it off give me a ping, I need you to tell me if the motor (compressor is hot or cold)

Customer:

which bit is the motor .the compresser is warm and the fan next to it has come on

Dales-Electronic :

OK just check that the cable that comes out of the bottom of the cabinet and goes into the compressor is secure and pushed in, when you say the compressor is warm, how long has it been running and what refrigerant is it using ~ it will be either R134a or R600a and should be on the compressor label?

Customer:

its r600a and yes the cable is pushed properley

Dales-Electronic :

OK now move to the front, can you see that the temperature numbers are made up of 7 vertical and horizontal bars?

Dales-Electronic :

These are in the display panel one set for the fridge and one set for the freezer?

Customer:

yes I can see that

Dales-Electronic :

OK take note of the bars I need you to list which bars stay alight once I take you through the test procedure, if you get it wrong the first time we can do it again ~ so press and hold in the two top buttons in the display area, hold them in and the display will start to flash, keep them held in and the display will go blank and then one or more of the bars should stay lit, I need to know which?

Customer:

on the freezer side

Dales-Electronic :

Which bar ie lower left hand vertical or say bottom middle horizontal?

Customer:

sorry it sent before i typed

Customer:

bottom horizontal and lower left hand vertical stay lit

Dales-Electronic :

Both freezer side?

Customer:

yes

Dales-Electronic :

OK the bottom horizontal indicates that the freezer cover fan is either defective or blocked up with ice and will need defrosting or replacing ~ lower left hand bar indicates that there is a problem with the ice maker. This is the way that I would go, remove everything you have in the appliance, switch it off and leave it with the doors open for 48 hours with towels in front to catch the defrosting water. Then restart the appliance ~ once it has been running an hour or so do the button test and see if the errors have cleared. Whilst these errors show a faulty component quite often they are as a result of ice causing the item not to be able to function. If you can now rate my service I can close down the job, once done this will allow you to come back in a couple of days and ask further questions at no extra cost to you. As soon as you log in the computer will indicate you have more questions and pass your request on to me ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.