Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have 2 inbuilt Siemens ovens (HB56L550B and HB56R550B) which

We have 2 inbuilt Siemens ovens (HB56L550B and HB56R550B) which are about 8 years old, and now have a problem with both. On one, if we set it to, say, 180 degrees, after a while the fan stops, the LED light flickers, then the oven seems to restart at 160 degrees. Other times after a while it will just flick between programs and can't be controlled.
On the other one, after a while the LED display steams up with condensation and turns itself off, then restarts, with the oven completely reset (e.g. clock display back at zero etc.)
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Oven No 1 ~ when the oven stops, is there a delay before it restarts?

Customer:

Yes

Dales-Electronic :

OK there is a safety thermostat built in to the top of the oven that in the even of the oven getting too high will shut down the oven completely, once the temperature is back within its set point it resets and the cycle starts over again. You need to with a temperature tester find out what temperature the oven is actually operating at in relation to the temperature set on the oven thermostat as in this case it will either be the thermostat that is faulty and is allowing the temp to get too high OR the safety stat that is faulty and is shutting the oven down at too low a temperature. When you are ready we can move on to oven number 2 ~ Ian

Customer:

OK, that's helpful. When the oven was fitted it was placed on a plinth, and as a result is tight up to the worktop. I don't know if there is supposed to be a gap - and if there is, would it cause the thermostat (or the 'brain') to malfunction and cut out? Because it's strange that the LED 'flips out" and changes programmes spontaneously etc...

Customer:

I should also mention that above the two ovens is a hob

Dales-Electronic :

OK another thing that will reflect on No1 oven but is likely the cause of No2 ovens problem, there is a fan built into the top of these ovens to keep the electronics cool, if that fan is obstructed or you don't have good ventilation then the vents in the back of the oven to get rid of the steam will feed into the front electronics and cause the very problem with condensation that you describe. If I were you (and obviously I cant see the installation) I would be increasing my ventilation 'big time' before you damage the electronics ~ not to put too finer a point on things, electronics don't like heat, water or steam and you have all three here ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Can I be of further service to you at all, if not would you kindly rate my service so that I can close the job down on the system, once this is done you can come back and ask any further questions on a free of charge basis ~ thanks ~ Ian

Customer:

OK, all your info has been really helpful. I've actually taken one of the ovens out of the cabinet, and the clearance at the top is definitely less than the manufacturer recommends. It's actually sitting on an 18mm piece of board. I'm thinking of replacing it with 12mm MDF just to see if it stops the cutting-out problem. Can I just ask, will MDF be able to cope with the temperature of the external base of the oven? Or should I use something else? (Melamine doesn't seem to come in less than 15mm-thick sheets.)

Dales-Electronic :

Yes just been talking my college and we are of the opinion that this will work fine as long as the mdf is used below the appliance ~ if you could further enhance the installation by leaving a gap behind the oven and inserting a vent below in the kick strip I am sure this would help also ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks, ***** *****!

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.