Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi, We have a 12 years old large Siemens fridge freezer (KG40U120GB)

Customer Question

Hi, We have a 12 years old large Siemens fridge freezer (KG40U120GB) which recently started to emit loud noises as if motor bearings were faulty. Opening the doors would immediately quieten it and then it would start all over again as soon as the doors were shut. It also appeared difficult to set a fridge temperature of 5, it would soon settle down to 2 or 3. I checked the fan within the freezer compartment and looked for any ice build up anywhere and I cleaned the whole are around and behind the compressor and its adjacent fan.
Yesterday we left the fridge unused (doors unopened for 10 hours or so) and it seemed noticeably quieter on our return and has been so ever since all day today. The fridge temperature is rock solid at 5. The appliance sits in a relatively unheated area adjacent to the kitchen.
I was just about to order a replacement - being concerned about food at Christmas - any clues or advice?
Eric Hartley
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

Hi Ian. I am puzzled by the noise and now its absence - the appliance seems now to be working perfectly!

Dales-Electronic :

OK will be back with you in a minute just checking the specs

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

It has been emitting the noise for some days, whenever it appeared to be in a cooling mode with the compressor running and I feared/fear failure over Christmas.

Dales-Electronic :

OK as you will be aware you have a fan in the freezer compartment that forces air up ducts into the fridge, where it cools and then returns to the freezer, this is electronically switched on when needed by the electronic control board in the top. However, if this freezes up in the fan housing it gives you with this horrible rattling as the fan blades chop away at the ice build up. When you open the door this switches this fan off. You mention you switched the appliance off and left it for some time, this has allowed the iced to defrost and on switch on the appliance once again is working perfectly. You have two issues to deal with here, firstly you must keep an eye out to see if the fan starts getting noisy again and if so get someone to check out its defrost functions as you may have a heater that has failed, on the second point, if you place the f/f in an area that gets below the fridges set temperature (you mention +5C) then all the food in the freezer will defrost ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

Ian, The fan in the fridge compartment was the first item I checked and it was and is running perfectly silently and without any ice build up. The noise was quite heavy (i.e. more than a rattle). The appliance was not switched off for the 10 hours or so, just that we didn't access the fridge or freezer compartments for that time.

Dales-Electronic :

Ah sorry I misunderstood the scenario, let me have a look at the parts list and see what we are dealing with

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

You are being very tolerant but between us I hope you save me the purchase price of a new fridge freeze however that may be your advice.

Dales-Electronic :

Sorry I will have to ask afew questions here as the Siemens site is hopeless and I cant even get a decent brochure of the appliance so is there a fan in both the freezer and the fridge or just the fridge?

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

I have only looked at the obvious fan in the fridge - I didn't think of the freezer and am now reading the brochure so bear with me this time!

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

No fan below but taking the freezer drawers out has started the compressor which is running silently and consuming about 70 watts.

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

No ice on the ducts in either compartment.

Dales-Electronic :

OK well the only thing that moves in the appliance that is controlled by the door switch is the fan, can you hear it cutting in and out as you open the door?

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

Yes.

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

Ian, I took the covers off and could see the fan running freely even when the noise occurred and both ceased when I released the door switch. I thought the noise was coming up the air duct but from what or where?

Dales-Electronic :

If you take out the freezer draws does it look like you have a back cover that is removeable, ie are there screws or pegs that could hold a cover in place ~ the parts list refers to defrost heaters and sensors which obviously aren't in the fridge area?

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

Yes. could be removed I think.

Dales-Electronic :

OK I would suggest then that you have another fan behind this cover together with the evaportator (cold plate) that has frozen up and is catching, if you carefully take this rear cover off (bearing in mind that plastic is brittle when cold) you should be able to find the problem ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-mhvkqck0- :

Ian, Many thanks it fits in with the noise transmission up the duct. I will do as you say and if all else fails take the easy option of replacing the appliance! You've been a great help.

Don't be scrapping the appliance yet ~ this is a quality machine and for sure you wont get one of equal build quality ~ if you can fix it do so ~ I am here and as you have rated me any further help is free of charge. If you need help with finding parts or anything else give me a ping on here. Take care and have a great Christmas ~ Ian