Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My Maytag American style fridge freezer about 10 years working

Customer Question

My Maytag American style fridge freezer about 10 years working perfectly well until I defrosted the appliance. When turned back on it tripped electric after about 10 mins.
When restarted gradually went for longer and longer until it was on for 18 hours before it tripped electric.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

JACUSTOMER-b3r24d8i- : Ok
Dales-Electronic :

OK can you tell me how you defrosted it?

JACUSTOMER-b3r24d8i- : Just unplugged it
JACUSTOMER-b3r24d8i- : Had to mop up water from bottom of appliance and floor
Dales-Electronic :

OK there is a small sensor behind the freezer back panel that can during a defrost period get damp and cause the system to trip the electric it is connected to the defrost heater and is used to restart the appliance once the temperature in the evaporator is above freezing- if I were you I would just keep an eye the unit for the next couple of days, if then it continues to trip the electric come back on here and I can talk you through what you have to check ~ Ian