Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I'm trying to replace the oven bulb on my Bosch built- in oven.

I'm trying to replace the oven bulb on my Bosch built- in oven. The last time I bought a tool to remove the cover and it worked well. This time the tool is slipping round instead of loosening the cover. What can I do? Is it possible to get at the lamp if I take the oven from the oven unit?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Could you give me the full ENr and I will have a look at the type of bulb holder and come right back to you ~ Ian

Customer: HBM43B250B/01
Dales-Electronic :

Thanks be right back

Dales-Electronic :

OK I see what you are up against, how handy are you with tools?

Customer: Reasonably - I'll try most things!
Dales-Electronic :

OK I note that the glass lens cover is available as a spare part which tends to lend the thought that this is a common problem, before you do this I need you to be happy that you might break the glass so you will need to make sure that if this happens you have sufficient protection to protect your hands. Firstly you need a damp cloth and do you have se set of what is call 'water pump pliers' in you toolbox, they are like a basic pair of pliers with adjustable jaws??

Customer: I have what I called a pipe wrench, which grips by opening and closing the jaws with a choice of 5 holes for changing the opening of the jaws
Dales-Electronic :

Yes that will do nicely, power off first please, take the cloth and cover the cover, then take the wrench and gently set the size that allows you sufficient grip without too much pressure. Now move the wrench slowly back and forwards until you feel the lens loosen in the holder. Once you have this gentle movement you should then be able to totally unscrew the lens off If you are able to take the door off and get it out of the way that is always helpful ~ give me a shout on here when you've progressed ~ remember power off first !!

Dales-Electronic :

So damp cloth over lens and wrench locks over damp cloth

Customer: OK thanks, ***** ***** it a try, but first I want to order a new cover just in case. My name will be mud if I break the cover just before Christmas! I think your suggestion is probably the best answer. I can't access the lamp if I take the oven out?
Dales-Electronic :

You can access the bulb holder from the back but you will have to take off the outer cover and unclip the complete bulb holder and push it forward and in to the oven cavity and then you will have the problem of getting the lens off. I would give it a go, I've been doing this 25 years and haven't broken a lens yet, its just gentle pressure and they usually unscrew no problems. Its the deposits of fat etc that cause them to jam up ~ if you need a supplier of parts give me a ping on here ~ the reason I am suggesting this is that if you damage the holder rather than the lens you will then have to replace the whole lot rather than just the lens which will cost you double on p&p. Take it gently and you should be OK> Could you now kindly rate my service, once you have done this you can come back at any time for further advice free of charge. Ian