Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My 14 year old worchester combi gas boiler has had very few

Customer Question

My 14 year old worchester combi gas boiler has had very few problems but now isnt heating water hot enough. any ideas??
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Could you give me the Model number of the boiler please ~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-2k4wveh9- :

35cdi combi

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi . most likely the hot water temperature sensor. Can be tested on ohms with a multimeter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not a heat exchanger problem????

OK in answer to your question and sorry for the delay (if you select another expert) then the primary expert gets locked out of the conversation for 20 minutes. Whilst my college Toby may be correct in his assumption could we go down the route of a systematic approach to finding your problem. Can you confirm that the water flow rate has not reduced over the period you have noticed this reduction and have you got the direct hot water thermostat knob turned up to maximum. Can you also confirm when last you had the heat exchanger descaled and what type of water you have there ~ hard or soft?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the boiler has been serviced every year which includes vacuming the heat exchanger. the pressure is normal.

OK and is the thermostat turned up to max and has the heat exchanger had a descaling solution through it during the 14 years of its life and water hardness?

I note that You have given Toby and I a 'Bad Rating' You have to understand that we are not mind readers and have to rely on Your eyes, ears and nose to inform us what you have. I personally do not guess at what is wrong with a system I carry out a systematic fault finding process that eventually eliminates every working component and leaves only the faulty one. Despite asking for further information this has not been forthcoming and subsequently you have not rectified your problem. If you would now like to continue our discussion perhaps together we can sort out you warm water problem and direct you to a supplier that can provide you with the spares you need ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i hav,nt scored anyone yet it must have been a mistake.

OK lets do this in stages, I think we can work on the principle that the heat exchanger is OK and has been kept in good order, I assume that you have the hot water temperature turned up nearly full on the boiler panel? The reason I ask this is that with combi boilers they rely on increasing the temperature of the incoming water and as we have had afew days of cold frosts then they struggle to get up to the (usual) set temperature of just below 60 degree C. Can you confirm you are happy with this assumption?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the boiler is turned up fully. I thought it was the cold weather but today it is milder and the water is only lUK warm.

OK on the final run can you tell me the specific model number ie there may be further letters after the 35cdi such as RSF or II, and is it running on natural gas or LPG ? Could you also give me the gas council (GC) number starts with 47 311

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

47 311 39 & 35cdirsf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

47 311 39 & 35cdirsf & natural gas

Excellent ~ there are now only two things that will cause this one is the overheat cut off sensor (this shuts the boiler down if it gets too hot) and this one (link attached) which regulates the temperature of the water supply ~ http://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/sku_WOR87161423020.html ~ if you go onto Ebay and put in the part number 87161423020 there are plenty of suppliers that will send it to you. I hope that you will now consider rating my service by using the smiley faces below after which you can ask any further questions free of charge ~ Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I gave an ok service based on answer time & navigating the site.

Thank You for the OK rating, I apologise for the long drawn out timescale but as I said earlier I was locked out for 20 minutes after my first information request. Regarding the navigation of the site, this has nothing to do with me, it is the system, the rating covers the information that I give you, not the way the system works. I hope you are successful with increasing the level of hot water. Seasons greetings ~ Ian