George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

The boiler was making an unusually loud noise this afternoon,

The boiler was making an unusually loud noise this afternoon, which went off and on at intervals of about 10-15 minutes.
We turned the thermostat right down and then switched the boiler off at the control panel, so the two lights (for the central heating and the hot water) went out.
However, the noise is still going most of the time now.
Why is this?
Is it dangerous:
And what do we have to do?
I would be grateful for an answer to these questions.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

It sounds like you have either a faulty non-return valve, or you have air in the system that needs bleeding out. If this is the case, then this is not dangerous, however, it is advisable that you call out a plumber to check the health and condition of the heating system.