canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

My recently purchased L74 series television is showing a 'Software

My recently purchased L74 series television is showing a 'Software update' note on the screen. I have clicked OK to accept this update but after 45 minutes nothing is happening.
All functions are frozen. Please advise on how to get this television to its former brilliant self.
Thanking you in anticipation
Harold Pugh
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Do you have the television connected to the internet via USB or wireless?

Customer:

Yes, connected via wireless.

canuck the pro :

Are you able to access any of the menu functions?

Customer:

NO

canuck the pro :

How long was it noting the software update screen?

Customer:

It took only about 10 seconds from switching the set from standby for the notice to appear. The wireless connection was only set up this afternoon. This worked fine. The set was then put on standby and the notice appeared when the set was switched on again.

canuck the pro :

How long did you allow the software update to work before unplugging it?

Customer:

About 45 minutes

canuck the pro :

Was there an indicator bar showing the progress? How old is the tv and is this the first time that it was allowed to update?

Customer:

There was no indicator bar. Nothing to indicate that anything was happening

canuck the pro :

How old is the tv and is this the first time it was allowed to update?

Customer:

The TV is only a few weeks old. Nothing like this has happened before

canuck the pro :

Is this the first time it was allowed to update? Today was the first time it was connected to the internet?

Customer:

It has not requested an update before today. Yes, today is the first time it has been connected to the internet.

canuck the pro :

There are two possibilities, either the update did not complete and the tv needs to be reset or there is an actual fault within the tv in the control board. Do you have the television connected to a surge protection device?

canuck the pro :

Some updates can take hours or more depending on your internet speed.

Customer:

Yes I have surge protection on the supply

canuck the pro :

Very good. When you unplugged it how long did you leave it unplugged?

Customer:

Probably less than one minute

canuck the pro :

Unplug the tv and then hold the power button on the TV for at least one minute. This will help release the remaining power in the capacitors on the power supply. Leave the TV off and unplugged for 15 more minutes. Plug the tv back in and if it starts the update process allow it to complete. It may take hours. If it does not complete or if the progress bar never appears then there is a fault with the main control board and then it becomes a warranty issue. Tvs can fail new or old but at least you have a warranty for the first two years. If you have not registered your warranty you can here. http://www.toshiba.co.uk/services/standard-warranty/

canuck the pro :

I have gone to warranty repair many televisions that have only been out of the box for a few hours and were working fine until then. You just never know.

Customer:

OK I will give that a go. Do you think there is anything to be gained, short term, by stopping the wireless transmission.

canuck the pro :

If you would like to use the applications that are installed on the tv already then it would be best to allow it to finish the update. If your internet is slow then you may want to allow it to install over night. Turning the internet off when you power the tv on after discharging the power may allow you to use the tv until you start the update. I would not recommend continuing to bypass the update. It kind of defeats the purpose of having all of the bells and whistles. Once the update is complete you will have no more troubles.

Customer:

The update has completed satisfactorily and the TV is working normally again. Thank you for your assistance.