Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hi I have been having problems with my boiler all week. It

Hi I have been having problems with my boiler all week. It wont come on consistently, BG have replaced the fan and the circuit board. Last night and again this morning I have "fiddled" with the setting of the frost thermostat and the boiler has come on. It is a BG1 controller with a Drayton thermostat. There are 2 controls - a dial on the BG1 and a dial on the Drayton stat. I know it is there to protect the boiler, but it is not freezing yet! Why are there 2 dials and how should I best set them? I have booked BG again and hope they will come and replace the stat - but I am interested to know how it works Thanks

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK I need you to give me more details of the BG1 and which Drayton stat. If you think of the system in simplified terms the controller is exactly that it switches the boiler on and off in line with how you want the house warmed. ie You get up at 7am and go to work at 8-30am so you organise the controller to switch the heating on at 6-30am and then off at 0815am and the same for the evening period. If its abit more complex you can set different times for the weekend to give you a lie in. The thermostat is just a switch that is controlled by temperature. The frost stat is usually preset and generally located outside, this switches the boiler into circulate mode if the temperature gets to the point where the water may freeze and split the pipes in the house. So more details please ~ Ian

Customer: Thanks Ian
Customer: I think the Bg1 is what Drayton call an RT3, this has a dial and I think contains a relay. The dial goes from 3 to 10.
Customer: this is connected to a Drayton thermostat on the return pipe. All if this is near the boiler in the garage.
Dales-Electronic :

OK thanks for that, now just a couple of other questions, you mention you have fiddled with the frost stat, is this the Drayton that is connected to the return pipe?

Customer: yes, it is a white block with a black dial and a metal lump on the pipe
Customer: I turned it back and forward a few times and the boiler came on. This has happened twice
Dales-Electronic :

OK leave this with me a second, this is not a frost stat it is to control the water temperature of the central heating two secs

Customer: ok ty
Dales-Electronic :

OK lets have an overview of your system the controller switches the system on and off and it is subsequently controlled by the Drayton Pipe Thermostat (likely model PTS1) which can be used with the Frost stat RTS3 so adjusting the pipe thermostat will increase the heating temperature, but have no control of the timing set by the controller. So adjusting the pipe stat up and down will switch the boiler on and off as long as the controller is in operating period ~ Ian

Customer: ok, could the stat on the return pipe be sticking?
Dales-Electronic :

Possibly a quick check would be to (with the boiler running) switch it on and off a few times and see if the boiler strikes up every time you turn the temperature knob up high ~ Ian

Customer: if so, would that explain why the heating isnt coming on?
Dales-Electronic :

Yes if the pipe stat is not switching to on then the boiler would stay off

Customer: thanks ian, will try that
Dales-Electronic :

OK would you kindly rate my information to you, I can then close down the job on the system and you can come back at any time for further information free of charge. Thanks for the question and have a Happy Christmas ~ Ian