Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

This morning my central heating didn't switch on. The boiler

This morning my central heating didn't switch on. The boiler showed error message F22 and the pressure showed 0.4. I turned the two white taps for a second or two and the pressure rose. I then switched on the heating manually for a couple of hours. However, towards the end of the time the display on the boiler was flashing as the pressure had risen to 3.2.
Have I added too much pressure? How can I get it back down?
Installer advised me that optimum level to look for is 1.9-ish. I only had this boiler and 3 CH rads installed 3 weeks ago.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer:

hello?

Dales-Electronic :

OK there is a fairly easy was to reduced the pressure, is there two of you at home?

Dales-Electronic :

'easy way'

Customer:

No, not at the moment

Dales-Electronic :

OK if I tell you how to do it now, once you have someone at home to help (unless you want to run between the radiators and the boiler) carry out the following ~ take a radiator key and a towel and release the bleed screw on one of the radiators, this will allow water to escape the radiator and be absorbed by the towel. When you get the boiler pressure down to about 1.6 bar shut the bleed screw up and you are back in business. If you would now kindly rate my information to you I can shut the job down on the system and all subsequent questions you ask are free of charge. Ian

Customer:

Now, you're going to think I'm a complete idiot but I've never had rads before (always had gas wall heaters previously) so I don't know where/what the bleed screw is.

Dales-Electronic :

OK first things first, have you got a radiator bleed key?

Customer:

No, I wasn't given one - as I recall, Ithink I was told I didn't need one. I'm guessing it's a screwdriver operated job.

Dales-Electronic :

No you will need to get one, it is a small key with a square socket are you need a B&Q or similar ?

Customer:

Yep, I can go get one today

Dales-Electronic :

OK I am here for about for about an hour and then will be back on the site from about 7pm and we can finish it off

Customer:

I can't get there in the next hour. Can you tell me what do do and I'll give it a go when I've got the key and give you an update tonight?

Dales-Electronic :

Yes that is fine, if you get the key at one end of the radiator you will see a small square bleed site, the key you get will fit the square bolt that comes out of the site. Gently unscrew this bolt and water/air will start to come out, catch it with the towel and then either if alone go and check the boiler pressure or have someone should it out to you until you are at the right pressure at which point shut the valve and you are done ~ would you now kindly rate my service as discussed I will be here from 7pm onwards if you have further problems ~ Ian