Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Customer Question

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

can you tell me what problem you are having?

JACUSTOMER-iuuwnsil- :

Hello. I have a fairly old Vaillant boiler. It has been making a fairly loud noise for several months, but has been functioning fine. Yesterday I got annoyed with the noise, so I turned the boiler off by a rubber switch that's on the front panel. I turned it back on a few hours later and the boiler appeared to come back on - but the heating never returned. It is not making the same loud pumping noises that it previously made - but the power is on. Unfortunately there's no heat. There is a pilot light window and I cannot see any kind of pilot light on in there. Any ideas!?

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me what the pressure is in the boiler.. you can do this by looking at the gauge

JACUSTOMER-iuuwnsil- :

Yep, pressure looks OK. It has a needle dial, showing just below 1.5

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me whilch model Vaillant you have please

JACUSTOMER-iuuwnsil- :

Unfortunately I don't know. There is no model information on the boiler at all, I've looked all over it. I do know it's quite old - there are notes on it regarding servicing dating back to 1998.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. one moment please

JACUSTOMER-iuuwnsil- :

It looks a little bit like this, but without the two buttons in the middle: http://mybuilder-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/2_thumb/400432_b09981a663.jpg

JACUSTOMER-iuuwnsil- :

It's very similar looking to this one: http://f01.justanswer.com/JACUSTOMERho6xturu/2011-12-28_205407_imag0063.jpg

George-Allsorts :

I am going to pass you to a colleague to answer this one for you..is that ok?

JACUSTOMER-iuuwnsil- :

Thanks!

George-Allsorts :

He will be here momentarily

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Dale - are you able to see the history of my previous conversation with George?

OK off we go, you mention that you have had a long period of time with a rattling noise. I assure this rattling was coming from the blower area rather than the circulating pump?

Can you confirm that the system hasn't locked you out too?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ian. I'm not sure where the rattling noise was coming from - it just seemed the entire boiler rattled a lot. I don't think the system has locked me out - I'm not actually sure there is a system! There are just analogue dials on the front of the boiler.

OK can you confirm that you have hot water?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope, no hot water or heating

OK have you got any power going to the boiler?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, power to the boiler is working. The power light is on

This is abit like finding a needle in a haystack without the model or series number. You mention that you have a rubber covered button this is the reset button can you try that again and see what you get?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The rubber covered button appears to be the power button. It has a light in, which when switched turns the boiler off. I have turned it off and then back on again a couple of times - and I also switched the mains power off and on again

OK when you turn it on what do you hear?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The boiler is whirring constantly when switched on, so has power to it. However, I do notice that the loud rattling noises it previously made (and had been making for over a year) are not happening.

OK can you see an pilot light showing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope. There is a round pilot light window, but looking in there, I'm unable to see it - and can't tell how I would light it

I need you to tell me if you can get the front panel off so we can get at the fuses and lock out system

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not able to do that, no

OK at this point I think I have helped you as far as I can using this medium. I can only suggest that you get a Valiant boiler engineer to come and help you rectify the problem. As I cannot help you further I will opt out and thereby you will not be charged for the information given sofar. ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thanks Ian

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately I've had to seek help elsewhere, sorry. Nice service though - now I've found this site, I'll certainly use it again!

OK thanks for visiting Just-Answer ~~ Happy Christmas from Just~Answer