canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a Samsung American style fridge freezer. Over the last

I have a Samsung American style fridge freezer. Over the last couple of days it has become noisy with a noise that sounds like a fan which slows down when the fridge door is opened. What is wrong do you think?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. There could be debris on the compressor fan motor or the fan motor blade could be damaged or loose. It may also be that the fan motor is wearing out and the fan may need to be replaced soon.

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

Thanks Mike. How can I check these potential problems?

canuck the pro :

To inspect the fan motor disconnect the power and then remove the rear access panel. Look for any debris or an obstruction that might be preventing the fan from moving freely. This area needs to be kept free of obstructions so that air can move freely and should be vacuumed on a regular basis. If the fan motor is seized or visibly worn, or if the fan blade is damaged they will need to be replaced. Also check the rubber mounting grommets for signs of wear.

canuck the pro :

Ha! I think we pushed enter at the same time.

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

This panel is on the rear of the appliance? facing the wall?

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

ew did :)

canuck the pro :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

Thanks, ***** ***** normal screws in the back to remove it?

canuck the pro :

They may be torx screws. If there is any ice build up then you would need to defrost the fridge/freezer. This would be done by removing all of the items and unplugging it and leave the doors open for at least 24 hours then wipe the inside clean.

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

I hope not I don't have a torx screwdriver - I guess they are widely available? Couple of other questions: How can I tell if the fan motor is worn? I don't think it's seized as the fan is still moving. How much would a fan motor / fan blade cost?

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

And where should I go to get parts?

canuck the pro :

If the fan is spinning and seems to be slowing and then getting up to speed again then the fan motor would be wearing. I am really not so sure about the cost but the parts are available at any local appliance parts supplier. The torx screwdriver looks like this and is available at the appliance parts supply also.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-y6idocs5- :

OK thanks very much for your help. One more thing to go on my Christmas "to do" list!

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. Be sure that if anything gets to be outside of your comfort zone that you stop and call a service technician. If the appliance is not very old call Samsung. They will likely warranty it even if it is a little out of warranty. No promises but they very well may.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
I am a Samsung Trained Engineer ~ This appliance has a self test facility, if you would like me to take you through this procedure come back on Just Answer and I will lead you through this self test and we can locate the defective component together.
OK when you are ready we can get started her ~ Ian