Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Further to this question, I checked the fan last night and

Further to this question, I checked the fan last night and it's not that - the noise is coming from higher up in the fridge. What could this be?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

I'm going to your earlier question of yesterday, if you will meet me there I will take you through the procedure ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

Have you been able to pick up the earlier question as I am not getting any form of communication?

Customer:

I'm not sure how to do that

Customer:

Iam unfamiliar with this site

Dales-Electronic :

OK look we can continue on here if You like, I was just trying to consolidate the question. Two secs whilst I get the manual ~ Ian

Customer:

ok t hanks

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you look at the display in the door can you see that the temperature digits are made up of vertical and horizontal bars?

Customer:

yes

Dales-Electronic :

These are used by the engineer once the appliance has been put into test mode to indicate where the appliance has a fault ie its a fault code ~ do you follow so far?

Customer:

yes, but I'm at work, not at home with the appliance right now

Dales-Electronic :

OK tell you what, when you get home ping me on here and if you give me your telephone number I will call you on Skype and take you through it ~ you will need to borrow/buy a wallpaper steamer on your way home. OK? ~ Ian

Customer:

Can you give me an idea of what you are going to ask me to do please?

Dales-Electronic :

We will need to take an internal panel off which will be frozen up with ice, this is why I need the steamer otherwise you will end up braking something ~ Ian

Customer:

Is that the panel inside the fridge cavity, about in the middle?

Dales-Electronic :

It is the lower fridge area in which is fitted a circulating fan

Customer:

are there two fans then?

Dales-Electronic :

No just one in the bottom and one in the freezer compartment, the other is around the back in the compressor housing

Customer:

I've checked the one at the back at the bottom and it's fine. I have also been trying to find stockists of Samsung fridge / freezer parts in my area - no-one seems to have them

Dales-Electronic :

OK what is it that you need?

Customer:

Well yesterday I was told that the fan motor was most likely worn

Dales-Electronic :

When you say that you have checked the one at the bottom are you talking about the external one or internal one ??

Dales-Electronic :

Yesterday You were told to check the outside fan yes ?

Customer:

I was told to take the panel off at the rear of the unit and make sure it was free from obstruction, dust etc. I did that last night. That fan works and is silent hence coming back online today

Dales-Electronic :

Outside or inside?

Customer:

well the fan is clearly on the inside of the unit. The panel I was told to take off was at the back of the machine, facing the wall

Customer:

"

To inspect the fan motor disconnect the power and then remove the rear access panel. Look for any debris or an obstruction that might be preventing the fan from moving freely. This area needs to be kept free of obstructions so that air can move freely and should be vacuumed on a regular basis. If the fan motor is seized or visibly worn, or if the fan blade is damaged they will need to be replaced. Also check the rubber mounting grommets for signs of wear.

If the fan is spinning and seems to be slowing and then getting up to speed again then the fan motor would be wearing. I am really not so sure about the cost but the parts are available at any local appliance parts supplier. The torx screwdriver looks like this and is available at the appliance parts supply also"

Dales-Electronic :

The fan that I am referring to is inside the fridge side of this appliance NOT the one at the back near the wall !!

Dales-Electronic :

This fan is controlled by the light switch so that when you open the door the noise should stop ~ Ian

Customer:

I know, I am telling you what I was told yesterday

Dales-Electronic :

I understand this but you were directed to the wrong area by the other expert, which is why you will see my comment on the original question offering further help.

Customer:

ok but you were asking me whether the fan was internal or external and as far as I am concerned it's inside the unit, accessed from teh back

Dales-Electronic :

My friend there are three fans fitted to this appliance, the one that you accessed yesterday that from the outside at the back is the condenser motor ~ this is the one that you checked for dust and wear etc. This is not the one that is causing you the problem. The one I want to help you with is located inside the fridge compartment, you have to take all the shelves out to access it.

Customer:

ok so i will take the shelves out tonight and ping you back/

Dales-Electronic :

That will be fine, I look forward to helping you and apologise that you were mislead by the other expert ~ Ian

Customer:

ok thanks

Dales-Electronic :

I am here when you are ready

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.