George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Our Miele Fridge freezer has been in storage (not in use) for

Our Miele Fridge freezer has been in storage (not in use) for nearly 7 months after a house move. It was switched on recently, to provide additional storage for Christmas food. However, it is not cooling or freezing, the red warning light in the upper door frame at the top of the fridge is flashing. The pump motor is running and it sounds as if fluid is being pumped around, but it still doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions please
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

How long have you had it switched on?

George-Allsorts :

What model is it?

George-Allsorts :

I have to go on my lunch now but will return shortly to reply to your responses

Customer:

It has been switched on Thursday, 18th Dec. It is the KDN 12823 S model, and is approximately 6 years old

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me.. have you heard the appliance switching on/off as normal or is it running all the time?

Also, can you get at the compressor at the rear or is there a metal panel over the top of it?

Customer:

The appliance had switched itself off at one stage, but it seems to have started running again after the on/off switch was pressed yesterday.

Photo of reare of appliance
Full Size Image

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. Can you tell me how warm / hot the compressor is when it is running?
Also, the sound that you can hear.. does it sound like running water?

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for posting the image

Customer:

If the compressor is the round black "tank" with the yellow label, then it is quite warm to touch, and yes the sound is like trickling water. There is evidence of some corrosion at the lower end of the black coloured tube to the right of the item mentioned above.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. this is an R600a refrigerant system and the sound you hear is the gas as you suggest, nevertheless, the gas should not sound like running water as it travels around the system, more a rush of water through the device at the end of your hosepipe... When the gas flows through the system sounding like a trickling stream it is a good indication that you are short of refrigerant and that the unit will need topping up..

I have noticed that corrosion on the high pressure side of the compressor that you have mentioned, and this is where I would presume that your leak is.. If this is the case, this will need to be repaired before refilling the system with refrigerant.

You will need the services of a refrigeration engineer to correct the problem

Would you like me to find one for you.. If so, what area of the country are you in?

George-Allsorts :

Please take some time to rate my assistance to you using the smiley faces and the submit button that you can see

Customer:

Thank you very much for your assistance George, I'll leave getting it repaired until sometime in the New year. We're moving again next month, to another place with a fridge freezer in situ.

Customer:

Have a good Christmas and a happy New year.