George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Zanussi 1680w Washing Machine My Zanussi 1680w has malfunctioned.

Zanussi 1680w Washing Machine
My Zanussi 1680w has malfunctioned. On a typical washing cycle the drum fills with water but the cycle then stops. The machine then has to be drained by hand using the draining hose
I have run a diagnostic test which appears to show Error 52 “No signal from the motor tachymetric generator” All my subsequent research into this message indicates that the commutator pump needs serious technical investigation or replacement.
Are there any tests that should be run or further investigation undertaken myself?
The machine is approximately 5 years old.
Is it worth attempting to repair the machine or is the cost of call-out and replacement parts likely to be such that the machine should be replaced? If so what is the current equivalent model and price?
Duncan Crole
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Duncan, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Please supply me with the PNC or Prod code from the label inside the doo opening

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

91460163800

George-Allsorts :

Thanks Duncan... one moment whilst I check the composition of your appliance

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Got it...thanks very much! Appreciated...

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

I am popping up and down from my computer so may not respond instantly...!

George-Allsorts :

ZWD1680W dated April 2004

I will be a few moments looking at this.. Please be patient

George-Allsorts :

Ok... Looking at the parts actual appliance it seems you have a sole motor ... This motor is common requirement brush changes every 3-6yrs depending on usage... This is the most likely cause of your proble... this will stop the motor from rotating thereby causing the E52 error since the Tacho generator cannot then create a pulse to inform the main PCB that the motor is turning

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Interesting....so maybe replacing these brushes would do the trick?

George-Allsorts :

yes

George-Allsorts :

you'll probably find that they are now only a few millimetres long instead of the normal length of around 25-30mm

George-Allsorts :

How often is the appliance used and on how heavey a load?

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

OK..thanks. so next questions (!) . How easy are they to investigate and remove. Where can I source them and finally how much might they cost?

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Appliance is probably used to wash about 5/6 loads a week and they would be generally on the high medium side

George-Allsorts :

OK.. there are a couple of types and therefore that question is not answerable fully until you have the brushes off and identified

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

I can't remember exactly when we bought it. when did Zanussi stop offering the model?

George-Allsorts :

If you take them off I can identify them ... but the cost of replacements is usually under £20

George-Allsorts :

Not sure when they stopped offering it but yours was manufacturered in 2004

George-Allsorts :

Manufactured

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Great....thank you. I probably can't do this immediately. How easy are they to remove and I can give you an idea of when this can be done. Can we keep the ticket open until after Christmas? Maybe early Jan as I am about to go away! Great timing!!

George-Allsorts :

Not too difficult .. but, need to get at the motor.. I usually do them from underneath the appliance.. you'll need a 7mm spanner

George-Allsorts :

Ticket open until after xmas.. I'm not sure.. I don't deal with site issues... I'm purely an engineer here to assist you

George-Allsorts :

If you take a moment to rate my assistance to you so far.. use the smiley faces to do this. anything above three smiley faces will lock you into me and allow you to return at any time to chat to me further on this issue without further cost to you.

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Thanks. Very happy to enter a 5! But it seems to take me out of the chat...is that what we want at the moment? How do we restart the chat at the right moment?

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

So the appliance has to be put on its side to do this? One can't access from the back?

George-Allsorts :

Yes.. that is what you want... What that does is lock you to me.. you can always click the reply button thereafter to come back to me to see if I can assist you furthr with the issue you have

George-Allsorts :

No. the appliance is either tilted backwards against something (as I do), or, it is dismantled into two pieces to do the job

George-Allsorts :

I will post you a diagram showing you what I mean

George-Allsorts :

one moment

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Well I think I prefer the tilting solution to the dismantling one!

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Unless you disagree?

George-Allsorts :

Full Size Image

George-Allsorts :

That is the dismantling... but I prefer the alternative which is to support the machine either against a wall at 45 degrees or right back onto my toolbox

George-Allsorts :

Full Size Image

George-Allsorts :

That's better.. the first one wouldn't work

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

OK...that's what I'll do...thank you very much. I'll submit now and we can reconnect later. Might be today (I need my assistant (son!) who is Christmas shopping! But more likely to be post holidays. Thank you help and Merry Christmas...

George-Allsorts :

Trouble is, sometimes you have to dismantle as some of the models come with complete bases, which stops you fixing it from underneath

George-Allsorts :

Likewise... have a very good Xmas and I'll chat to you when you come back

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

Oh...so one might have to completely dismantle? Does that need more expertise?

George-Allsorts :

I will be around to talk you through it

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

OK...great. You preempted me! Signing out now and embarking on the next steps. thank you again..

George-Allsorts :

OK... Have a good Christmas

JACUSTOMER-iioj2mek- :

:)

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Are you there Duncan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are we open here?

yes.. just asked refund on the other page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great...thank you very much! Its a slightly different view on this thread than originally but we seem to be hooked up..

Yes.. this stops you fighting again time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK...here's the gen

I found the brushes and have removed one. Its very worn. Only 3 or 4mm remaining. How shall we identify the type? I can't see a way to attach a file in the chat

Can you photograph one and post the photo here.. or send it to my works phone #07787182156 ?
Send one from the top and another from the bottom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you see enough from what I sent just now?

I see the bottom view.. now I need the top view
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok..give me a few minutes to take another snap

OK.. here they are...

Sole motor brushes for 91460163800

When you get to the payment page.. To the left of the 'Pay by Card' button there is a link to allow you to enter a discount code.. Click on it and enter the discount code id1975 to get a discount

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks George...here is the other side in case you need it

Just posted you the link.. I managed to identify them from the bottoms, but the top picture confirms I had found the right ones

I have just checked, and the discount code id1975 is a current one

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you George...I think that does it...how do I rate and close off without incurring a charge. Do I just click Rate to Finish?

Not sure how it works Duncan.. .. But was very glad to help.

Have a good Christmas.. I look forward to seeing your rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks George...very helpful. Duncan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks George...very helpful..

Not sure I can close with another rating as it says I have to pay again! there doesnt seem to be a way I can do this so I may just close the page down without rating

Certainly squire

You are very welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Smile

Cool
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George..Duncan again

Happy New Yea...

The Zanussi saga continues!

I replaced the carbon brushes as directed

The machine started a normal cycle but right at the end it stopped and appeared to blow a fuse – in fact the trip whole house went

Since then the machine will not start at all – no water fills and the motor does not start. The error code indicates E51 “motor power triac short circuited”

Is it worth continuing with this machine or would it be best to cut my losses and invest in a new one? This particular error would likely require an engineer and the cost of this and replacement parts would probably be significant. We think the machine is over 5 years old – probably 7 years

Many thanks steer you are able to give...

best wishes Duncan

Duncan,

Happy New Year to you too

The motor triac is on the main board and has to have had a reason demise.. I would expect that this has been caused by a problem with the motor itself.. Therefore, motor, mainboard, engineer costs, yes, accumulative costs would take you in excess of the cost of a replacement machine I'm sorry to say.

regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you George...rather what I feared!

If you put the old machine on Findmyrecycler it'll give you a list of the local recyclers near to you if there are any
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you George...will do. best Duncan