George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a dual fuel stoves cooker with two ovens and two grills

I have a dual fuel stoves cooker with two ovens and two grills but I cant get both to work at the same time even though I have replaced a cooling fan and also the pcb. All the elements are ok and also the other cooling fan.Can you help me?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you post me the Model number for the appliance so that I can have a look at the specs for it

Customer: The model no. Is *********
George-Allsorts :

Sorry, that number is ***** out... can you repost it like so #44444

George-Allsorts :

ie.. place a # ***** front of the number

Customer: *********
George-Allsorts :

No sorry.. that is the same

Customer: #059056305
George-Allsorts :

George-Allsorts :

When you say that you can not get both to work at once.. have you tried both separately?

George-Allsorts :

I cannot find the manual for your cooker

Customer:

yes they both work separately but even though I replaced one fan I only ever hear one working and I think there isn't power going to the other one.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. do you hear the fan in the lower left one?

Customer:

Ya I hear the fan but it's the right one as i'm looking at it from the front!

George-Allsorts :

SO YOU CAN HEAR THE FAN IN THE RIGHT ONE?

Customer:

that's why I replaced the pcb because I thought it was responsible for switching both fans on if needed !

Customer:

yes I can hear the fan in the right one.

George-Allsorts :

Let me confirm... you can hear a fan in the right oven, yes?

George-Allsorts :

Can yo check the back plate of the left oven to see if there are cut-outs on the panel

Customer:

you mean when I open the the back panel there could be a cut-out in there?

George-Allsorts :

I mean look inside the oven to see if you have slots in the rear inside panel... this would indicate if it is a fan oven or not

Customer:

No I think you misunderstand - it's a cooling fan designed to cool the cooker exterior and its situated at the back of the cooker - it has a cooking assist fan as well.

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. let me explain the way these cookers work...

Usually, and I cannot say for your oven as there is no information available.. There is one fan assisted oven and one conventional oven that does not have a fan...

When the fan oven is on, naturally you will hear a fan. However, when the conventional oven is on it will be silent..

Now, Once the cavity reaches a certain temperature, a cavity cooling fan will come on... this will depend on the temperature inside the oven cavity, not the oven itself

George-Allsorts :

Therefore, until you have been cooking for aprox 15 min minimum, you will not hear a cavity cooling fan kick in

George-Allsorts :

However... you say that you think one of the ovens is not working.... What makes you think this?

George-Allsorts :

If after 15-20 mins you do not hear the caity cooling fan start up, then you need to check its theremostat

George-Allsorts :

**Cavity**

Customer:

Ya I understand what you're saying but in my case the cavity fan comes on immediately and the oven fan only comes on if you use the fan option- the cavity fan als comes on immediately you switch the grill,

George-Allsorts :

OK.. So, I understand what you are saying there... The cavity fan comes on immediately to protect the wiring and the knobs...

So, now, explain to me what you think your problem is... Is it that the fan is not coming on?

George-Allsorts :

or furthermore.. is it that neither the fan, nor the oven is coming on?

Customer:

Ya I think because the fan isn't coming on it isn't allowing the oven/grill to stay on for any length of time (they do come on briefly) but I cant figure why the fan isn't coming on as it's brand new - something is preventing it from coming on but it's not the pcb as I've also replaced that.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. can I call you to talk to you about this?

Customer:

ya no problem but i'm in Ireland if that's ok. My no. 00353879492890

George-Allsorts :

Ahh.. can't dial out of the country.. sorry..

Any way... If you follow the wire from the cooling fan it should go through a thermal cutout... Check the thermal cutout with a multimeter to see if it has continuity

Customer:

Would this be a rectangular ceramic block on the wire?

George-Allsorts :

There are a couple of types.. Have you a camera to photograph the part you are meaning... That sounds like the resistor

George-Allsorts :

If there is one of those, there is normally another one near it.. a round one

George-Allsorts :

Full Size Image

Customer:

As in resistor !

George-Allsorts :

The image above is a thermostat.. that is what you are looking for

George-Allsorts :

There is also the possibility that you have lost the link out of the selector switch

George-Allsorts :

Once you find the item above.. power to the oven off, check the continuity through it with the multimeter, with one wire disconnected

George-Allsorts :

In order for me to assist you any further, I must ask you to take a moment to rate my assistance so far.. Please use the smiley faces to do this. With a rating of 3 or more smiley faces, I shall attempt to assist you further with your problem if desired.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair