George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My Bosch Logixx easy access fridge keeps freezing products

Customer Question

My Bosch Logixx easy access fridge keeps freezing products although the temperature is set at +4
Have to keep turning it off to save salads & veg.
Any ideas?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you let me know the ENr and FD of the product... It will be on a label inside the refrigerator, normally around or behind the salad bowls

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

ENr No KTR18P20GB/03

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Fd No 9102

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for those.. I'll be back in a few moments

George-Allsorts :

Is that a digital or a manual thermostat?

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

How do I find out?

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me , do you hear the motor running constantly?

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

No It stops supposedly when it reaches temp

George-Allsorts :

If you set the temperature to +6 does it still freeze?

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Haven't tried that for a while my wife thinks that is too warm

George-Allsorts :

Is it freezing items at the top of the fridge too?

George-Allsorts :

Then, can you go to the rear of the fridge an put your hand on the compressor and tell me how warm/hot it is

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

It has in the past but now we know there is a problem we keep an eye on it and turn it off before it reaches the top

George-Allsorts :

Can you go to the rear of the fridge an put your hand on the compressor and tell me how warm / hot it is

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Fridge was turned off so not able to tell.

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

have turned it on and will check it asap

George-Allsorts :

Can you let me know once it comes on again... I assume that the temperature will be normal, however, it is always best to check...

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Compressor is quite warm can leave my hand on it ok but just felt it again and nearly too warm to touch

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Compressor now quite hot

George-Allsorts :

How hot?

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Fridge is pulled out from under worktop so has plenty of ventilation

George-Allsorts :

I am going to assume that you are short of refrigerant... This will cause the compressor to become hot to the touch, and the fridge to become a freezer at the same time

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

Too hot to handle now

George-Allsorts :

Please get the refrigerant topped-up as quick as possible otherwise you may cause damage to the compressor

JACUSTOMER-c995887w- :

You think that will cure it ok?

George-Allsorts :

Yes.. if there has been no damage to the compressor... but it is still operating so you should be ok

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to take a moment to rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally.
This will close our chat but you can still come back to me if you need more help

Thank you for the rating Leo
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I contacted a refrigeration expert recommended by my independant retailer who told me that compressors worked properly even if they got hot and gave an example of last years heat wave where he had loads of customers whose fridges were working perfectly and the compressors were really hot.

He was willing to come out and look at the fridge but it would cost 65 quid plus parts

We had already lost a lot of food that we had stocked up with for the christmas period and didn't want to risk any more.

We have dumped the fridge a bought a new simple (old fashioned ?) one for 130 quid with 5 year parts guarantee.

I did find your service handy at a time when every one was closed for the holiday period but this was an unusual model which you do not see anyone selling now.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Hi Leo, there is a diference between hot and "too hot to handle". A compressor is meant to operate within a certain temerature range, each compressor is different... but no compressor is meant to run hot.
If a compressor is as you said "Too hot to handle" then it has a problem... Normally it will be low on refrigerant as the other cause is rare and that is that the compressor itself is seizing.