George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a dual fuel Rangemaster Elan 90. Hob (gas) and grill

I have a dual fuel Rangemaster Elan 90. Hob (gas) and grill (electric) are working fine but both ovens (electric) have stopped working and the clock is also not working. Serial number is ********** It seems like something might need re-setting. Is this a fault I can correct myself?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

When you say the clock isn#t working.. do you mean it is completely blank, or do you mean you can not set it?

Customer:

It is completely blank.

George-Allsorts :

Then the thermal cutout has activated... this is inside the rear of the appliance to the right hand side in the wiring

Customer:

I am not an electrician. Is it something a layman can do, and does it require replacement parts or just a reset?

George-Allsorts :

The thermal cutout activates when there has been a problem; a blown element; a fan not working, etc.. This is to protect the consumer and also the cooker.. It is a fire prevention device..

You can replace it yourself, however, I would advise that you call an appliance engineer as there will be a cause that is not immediately noticeable to the layman.

Do you wish me to give you a link to an Engineer Search Facility?

Customer:

I thought that might be the case, but as we have a house full over the holiday period, I was hoping there might be a shortcut!! Used our Bar-B-Q to cook some of the Christmas dinner and next door's oven for the turkey! The link sounds like a good idea, but I'm not optimistic about finding an Engineer in the Northampton area who will come out before next week. Do you know of anyone??!!

George-Allsorts :

I don't know of anyone personally but the Engineer Search Facility could possibly produce the right appliance technicial who is relatively local to you to do the job, as most work in-between Xmas and New Year

Please take a moment to rate my assistance.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.

George-Allsorts :

I hope this produces the right results for you so you can be up and running for the rest of the festivities.

Customer:

OK. Thanks for your advice George and have a very enjoyable festive period, even if you are working!