George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My glow worm ultimate 30 ff starts up, ignites etc but does

My glow worm ultimate 30 ff starts up, ignites etc but does not seem to be warm up.
I have not used it for some months and had to change the timer. Does the boiler need resetting or other?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Are you saying that it is set to heating but is not warming the radiators?

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Yes.Basically the boiler appears to be working but the rads are not heating up. The body of the boiler also remains cold though. In the past it used to warm up somewhat. Can it be lit but not heating?
George-Allsorts :

Is the boiler pressure at 1 bar or above?

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : How do I check that?
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : The system has a pump, I've raised it to 3
George-Allsorts :

If you look at the pressure dial on the boiler you should be able to see the pressure reading..

Also, if the boiler is not timed correctly, you can switch it to constant to override the timing which should turn the heating on immediately

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Can't see a pressure dial. This is an open water system
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : I have been trying to boiler switched to constant
George-Allsorts :

can you tell me the model of your boiler?

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Glowworm ultimate 30Ff
George-Allsorts :

Thanks for that .. one moment please

George-Allsorts :

Have you turned up the thermostat on the boiler

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Yes to near max
George-Allsorts :

Can you feel the pipes under the boiler to see if there is any heat on one of them

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Pipes are at the top. One sec.
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Also if you look at the manual, on diagram 1 the gas cooker is noted shown off. On my boiler this is on the on position. Next to it is the gas adjustment with a blue cover and next to that is another little screw top with a horizontal arrow next to it. That one is in a vertical position, not horizontal following the arrow. Could this be blocking heat?
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : http://www.freeboilermanuals.com/pdf/glowworm/ultimate30ff.pdfChecking the pipes now....
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : The pipes are all cold
George-Allsorts :

Is the blower working?

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : The blower?The flames can be seen through the peeping hole if that is what you mean...
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Mind you, that screw head was in that position when the boiler was working before I changed the timer. I have not touched that...
George-Allsorts :

Using the manual that you provided.. which type of stsem have you installed

George-Allsorts :

Have you tried bleeding any of the rediators?

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : I haven't bled the rads. That was precisely where I wanted to get to /do but thought to check if the boiler was working first.The system is the open one
George-Allsorts :

can you please go and bleed the radiators starting at the bottom of the house, then check that the pump is actually running

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Pump is running :) I have checked that. :)Is it possible for me to bleed the rads in the am and come back to you?I did not realise that the chat was instant when I signed up. It will take me a while to bleed these.
JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : PS do I switch the boiler off while I bleed the radiators?
George-Allsorts :

Yes, please do... I would appreciate a rating this evening for my assistance so far.. this will also tie you to me which will make it easier for responses to be made

George-Allsorts :

No, you need the boiler on in order to build up the pressure in order to bleed the radiators

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Cool! Will the follow up count as a separate question or will it be under the same charge?
George-Allsorts :

either.. as you wish

George-Allsorts :

when you respond to the same link it will be the same charge.. if you open up into a new question then it will be another charge

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : OK, got it! Thank you for this! Really been scratching my head and not finding the right or any helpful guidance on line!Thank you also for letting me bleed the rads in the am. It's 10pm here and I've a god awful cold, so hope to be better in the am and more up to the task! Are u UK based?
George-Allsorts :

Yes.. I am in North Wales

JACUSTOMER-gkryrd4x- : Geeee! Thanks for replying so late in the evening too!!!:)Speak tomorrow.:)
Hello Denitza, use this one
Please double check that the pump it actually running... as if the boiler is lit then the water should be heating... Unless you have it on water only or the boilers pump is not rotating
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi George, no luck. Rads have been bled, boiler running again, flame lit but no heat.... :(
Did you check that you have it on the Central Heating setting and not on Hot Water Only ?

I have asked for the other question to be closed so that you are not paying twice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that!!!
To be double sure I have run both programmes on over ride.
I've also bled the 'water in' pipe at the top of the boiler which seemed to have some air trapped.
Now looking at the pump next to the cylinder.
That is on and running.
There is however a little blank silver box at a weird pipe junction next to the water cylinder that has a lever. It's unmarked so don't know what that does....
The situation you need to get to is to have heat at the Outlet to the Central Heating pipe... If the pipe is cold, then you either have, the Room Thermostat turned off or down, the boiler switched onto Hot Water Only, or there is no Pump Action..

At any time that the central heating is on and the pump is running, there should be an almost immediate heat at the outlet pipe to the radiators
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Room thermostat on max.
The pipes coming in and out of the boiler are cold tho.
The flue has now developed condensation on it as is user cold...?
Is the pump you are referring to one in the boiler itself?
I found out the box I mentioned is a motorised valve., http://www.lovekin.net/honeywell-motorised-valve-faults.html
.... Thank you for the patience... I will try for a while longer and then give up...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
actually, the flame I could see was only the pilot. The main grille is not lighting...Main gas to the kitchen working.Unless you know of a specific reset or something obvious that can be triggered when the boiler is not used for some time or when the timer dies, then probably best to call the plumber at some point...:(
First:

1. Use a multmeter to see if the room thermostat is working

2. Check that the switch is working that changes the operating condition from Hot Water Only to Hot Water Only + Heating
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi George,
Further to conversation re glow worm I have bled the rads but still no result. The boiler appears to work, ignites etc, but not heat.

Please also note that by rating the service yesterday the conversation is deemed to be closed and I can't access it any more, which means I'm having to pay for this 'follow up'. Let's hope we can find a solution to the boiler issue.

This is just the text from the other question page.. I assume transferred by CS