George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

washing machine model WMB716642W has stopped in mid cycle and

washing machine model WMB716642W has stopped in mid cycle and the start button is flashing... the pause/start/cancel button held down will not override this
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you tell me what happens when you press the start button once?

Customer:

Hi George, the problem has now changed and now it has got water inside and the door won't unlock - a 20 minute wash took 55 mins and the timer would not count down

Customer:

it now says end, still water in drum and the lock symbol is still showing,

George-Allsorts :

Can you cancel the program that you are on and see if the machine starts to drain please

Customer:

now that it has stopped, if I push the cancel button again, it will start all over again, as the cancel is also the pause and start button

George-Allsorts :

Press cancel for 3 seconds until the machine stops... see if the machine starts to drain... and let me know

Customer:

oh and it doesn't say end anymore it has got the beginning of the timer up again

George-Allsorts :

Press cancel for 3 seconds until the machine stops... see if the machine starts to drain whilst cancelling... and let me know

Customer:

machine has stopped... but if I press that cancel button even for the 3 seconds, the cycle will start again - I've done it 3 times already

George-Allsorts :

OK... STOP

Customer:

I'll do it if you like but have no idea how long the cycle will last this time and nothing will stop it either

George-Allsorts :

Whilst the machine is actually cancelling.. is the pump running?...

If the machine is already stopped, change the program to drain and then press start... does the pump run

George-Allsorts :

We are trying to determine here whether or not the pump actually works.. My assumption is that this is the cause of your problem

Customer:

there is no draining noise, just spinning

Customer:

but the cycle is spin and drain, maybe I have to wait for a bit

George-Allsorts :

OK.. now, wait until the door opens, then drain some of the water... Pull out the appliance and tilt it slightly so that you can get a pan underneath it to catch water.. then open the filter housing.. I assume you will find an oblect or two stopping the impellor from rotating

George-Allsorts :

How are you getting on?

George-Allsorts :

Hello?

George-Allsorts :

If there is nothing else I can assist you with... Please take a moment to rate my assistance.. Please use the smiley faces to do this.

Customer:

oh it took ages cause the rinse 12 min cycle took over an hour... but you were right, when it stopped I emptied by the hose and then took out the filter and there was a small hair clip in there.. thank you so much.. big smiley face!!!

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair