Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a new (2 months old) vaillant ecotec plus 831 boiler.

I have a new (2 months old) vaillant ecotec plus 831 boiler. Just noticed the pressure is 3.3 bar and flashing. The heating has been on all day as it's so cold outside and the radiators are hot but it doesn't feel especially warm in the house (not sure whether that's the system not working properly or just that it's cold out).
Is a pressure reading of 3.3 bar when on a problem? Really don't want to shut the heating off overnight as I have a baby and a toddler in the house.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Do you have a radiator key?? ~ Ian

Customer: Yes
Dales-Electronic :

OK we need to reduce the pressure to about 1.6bar, if you have a couple of towels and the key we can reduce the pressure by releasing some of the pressure by bleeding it off by at the radiator bleed screw, its a case of bleeding off a short period of time and then shutting it tight whilst you recheck the pressure.

Customer: Do I need to turn the boiler off first?
Dales-Electronic :

Yes just turn the heating off for a short while whilst we are doing this,

Customer: I've got it down to 3.1 but have already soaked through three towels so not sure how I'll get it down to 1.6. Any idea why it would have gone so high so soon after instlalation? If we will need the installer to come out and look at it anyway I'll just reduce to a safe level for now
Dales-Electronic :

Have you had the boiler on all day ?

Customer: Yes
Dales-Electronic :

OK leave it at 3bar for the time and recheck in the morning. If you understand, you can start the day at 1bar but as the boiler increases the temperature at the radiators so the pressure also goes up. Recheck in the morning and come back on here and we can then decide if further action is needed ~ Ian

Customer: Thanks!
Customer: It dropped to 2.2 bar overnight but I had to switch the heating back on at 4 as the temperature in my baby's room had dropped to 14. Now back up to 3 bar again.
Dales-Electronic :

OK that's fine if you can bleed a little bit more during the day and get it back down to just over 2 bar in the morning you should be OK, the unit is fitted with a safety vent that will relieve the pressure if it gets too high but static pressure (ie not running) should be between 1 - 2 bar. I'm sure it has more to do with you running it constantly to keep the baby warm than a fault. If you have any more queries come back to me. Would you now kindly rate my service using the Smiley faces below, this allows me to shut the job down on the system but allows you to continue to ask questions free of charge. I am travelling to London from Boston in about an hour but will ask my college George to keep an eye on the question and once I am in London will come back on a check how you are doing. Just in case ~ have a Happy New Year ~~ Ian

Customer: Great, thanks very much.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.