KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a 1200 De Lux WM31 Hotpoint washer bought in 1996.

I have a 1200 De Lux WM31 Hotpoint washer bought in 1996. I started a wash yesterday and it stopped working soon after starting its cycle. I have not been able to get it to continue its programme ( or any other programme) and I am unable to open the door to remove the wash. The electricity is reaching it and the door lock is not set. It is not on rinse hold. I cant see much water in the machine. I would be grateful for advise.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete E nr and PNC number

Customer:

model No. WM31P No. ********* /p>

Customer:

model No WM31P No. 20136613. Is this what you are wanting ? it is the info on the user handbook or do I need to get more off the machine? If so where would I find them?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes please give me a moment

KevinWhiteJA :

have you also tried to clean the drain pump/hose etc ?

Customer:

no, how do I do this? How would this have caused it to stop mid-cycle? Also I am concerned about being able to get the door open and take the washing out. Is it possible to do this independent of the problems with the wash cycle?

KevinWhiteJA :

You will have to pull the washer out then check the drain hose and also clean the drain pump...after this is done and the water is out the door should open, you can then try to run another cycle, if the problem occurs again then the heating element will need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

washer fills perfectly fine and then starts its cycle however, it stops after that as the element wont work

Customer:

Hi Kevin, is the last sentence you wrote intended for me? We are now going to do as you suggest and will get back to you with the outcome. Are you staying on line through the morning?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes, I was just trying to tell you why the washer will stop in mid cycle :) and yes I am available here for another 5-6 hours so please let me know how it goes

Customer:

Hi Kevin, things are looking promising! We checked the drain hose and drained off about half a bucket of water and we were able to open the door (Hurrah!). However we did not find the drain pump so not yet sure if it needs cleaning. What does it look like? I wondered if I had overfilled the washer and took out half the load and started it on a new cycle. . It seems to be doing fine and I will keep a watch on it through this complete cycle and then get back in touch. Would you advise us to find and check the drain pump ? Could I have caused the problem by overfilling the washer? Many thanks for the advice so far!

KevinWhiteJA :

Hotpoint WM31P Drain Pump
Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

Hello, great that the door is now open

KevinWhiteJA :

this is the image of drain pump of your washer

KevinWhiteJA :

as everything is cleaned let me know if the problem appears again, if not then yes overfilling might have probably caused this...if the problem appears again then the heating element might need replacement

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks

Customer:

Hi Kevin, two washers have gone through without a hitch! Fantastic . Thanks for the picture of the pump, if the washes have gone through problem-free, do we need to give the pump a clean now or can we leave that job? Many thanks for excellent advise and the relief of getting it sorted! Happy new year. Angela

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome Angela :) ....if it has gone through fine then you can leave that for now...Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Happy New Year

Customer:

That's all great Kevin. I will sign off then and thanks again. Angela

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years