George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Bosch SGS3062GB Dishwasher. Problem started when it failed

Bosch SGS3062GB Dishwasher. Problem started when it failed to fill at all. Would go through it cycle including popping tablet out of drawer without water. Inside smelled fowl. Checked and cleaned filters, checked and unblocked waste pipe (loads of greasy sludge). Cleaned plastic manifold inside side panel (also partly blocked with greasy sludge). Now partially fills, but not enough water comes in. Machine works perfectly if you add a kettle and a half of water after initial empty cycle (when you've select main wash cycle). When doing this we notice the inside still smells fowl. Water valves appear to be working OK just not letting enough water in at the start of either a rinse or a wash cycle.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Take off the left side of the appliance and check the fill tank

George-Allsorts :

Y have you rated bad service when you havent responded yet?

George-Allsorts :

I have asked you to investigate the fill tank at the left side of the appliance behind the panel

Customer:

I assume this is what I have called the plastic manifold. It has the cold "in" and "waste" pipes connected to the bottom of it. I have had this off and flushed it out. Watching this I can see machine only gives a couple of short shots of water at the start of a rinse or wash cycle, but as the wash program progresses it empties and refills as I would expect.

George-Allsorts :

ONE moment please

George-Allsorts :

What is the full ENr of the machine.. you will find it stamped into the metal part at the top of the door... There are 58 versions of your appliance

Customer:

SGS3062GB/02

George-Allsorts :

Thank you.. one moment whilst I check the diagrams for your appliance

Customer:

SGS3062GB/02 4242002252216 Type S10R51B

George-Allsorts :

I assume that yours then is the 2001 version.. is that correct?

Customer:

Yes took delivery 08/12/2001

George-Allsorts :

OK... sounds like you need one of these then

Water Level Regulator

I would also advise that you check the heater and its thermostat on the oposite side of the appliance before putting the appliance back... as smelly water and accumulated grease usually come from having no heat

George-Allsorts :

Can I now ask you to re-rate my assistance to you as I am sure you would agree that Bad Service is inappropriate

Customer:

I know the bit you advise, but didnt know what it did. Still not convinced this the problem though as I said before the correct amount of water gets put in later in the cycle and I guess this regulator controls all fills. It's just that initial fill on both the rinse and wash cycles that seems to be the problem.

George-Allsorts :

There is a float chamber near to it that can also cause the problem, but I would still suspect the part I have told you... Do not forget that the water fills to different levels throughout the wash

George-Allsorts :

I do not suspect the float chamber of being the cause

Customer:

Havent checked the water temperature, but I know the heater works as the water gets hot. Still got it in my mind there is still some crap in the system somewhere that is causing the smell

George-Allsorts :

OK.. then run a full wash on intensive with a detergent cleaner and nothing else in the appliance.. this will remove any further grease you think to be in there..

Please remember, I am working blind here, you are my eyes, ears, and hands.. and I can only advise as such...

I have gone as far as I am willing to go without you correcting that rating

In order for me to assist you any further, I must ask you to take a moment to rate my assistance so far.. Please use the smiley faces to do this. With a rating of 3 or more smiley faces, I shall attempt to assist you further with your problem if desired.

Customer:

OK George will get a new valve and try that.

George-Allsorts :

Can I expect a better rating from you?

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair