Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Whirpool fridge freezer stop

Whirpool fridge freezer stop
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Also can you tell me a bit more about the fault the fridge has other then its stopped.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

it says A Class on the front - that's all the info I have on the model

I've just returned home, opened the fridge, the light did not come on. We have checked and the motor is not running - we have changed the fuse and this has not made it work. it has been in need of defrosting recently

That's the most information I have - My boyfriend has been looking at it and will be back shortly - he has watched an online video about a reset switch but we cannot locate this

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you look inside the fridge section behind the salad box theres usually a sticker in there with the model details on there. Can you see this?

Is this a side by side appliance or an upright fridge freezer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is and upright fridge freezer

details on the sticker are as follows

ARC5550

long number(###) ###-####/p>

there is more info and service numbers with bar codes - do you need these?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for that ive got it now.

Im taking it you have tried it in another plug socket or tried something else like a kettel in the socket the fridge uses?

If thats ok then this appliance is controled by just a thermostat so if this failes the bulb should still work.

So what you can try is look on the back of the fridge were the compressor is and on the left of the compressor is a plastic cover. This is were the power cable goes to.
Make sure its unplugged and remove this cover and check the wiring connections in there and make sure they are fine. If you have a volt checker then you need to check theres 230v there when plugged in.

If thats fine then you need to remove the light fitting inside the fridge and check the bulb and see if its blown. If it has blown then you need to check the thermostat and see if this is faulty as to be honest on this appliance if the power supply to the fridge is fine then all it can be is either loose connections on the plastic box on the compressor, The thermostat or the compressor itself at fault.

So chek them out if you can and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Daniel

could you please let us know how to get the blue cover off without damaging the machine itself?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
To remove the light fitting you need to hold the plastic cover either side and give it a squees and pull it backards toward the back of the fridge and it will unclip and come off from there.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.