Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi I have a Creda oven Model No. 49502 Serial No. 984C 020589 It

Customer Question

I have a Creda oven Model No. 49502 Serial No. 984C 020589
It is about 23 years old and has been superb. The top 4 coil plates work very well and are efficient.
However, now the oven is starting to be unreliable. The top part gets very hot even at 175 degrees centigrade and is much cooler at the bottom. It burns my cakes at the edges and also crisps the top too much. If I put a casserole in at say, 150 degrees, it is fine for about 2 hours but still quite hot and I reckon it is nearer to about 165 - 170.
Is there anything I can do to solve the problem e.g. a replacement part or new elements.
I am keen to avoid buying a new one!!
Thanks very much
Ruth WD
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Is the fault you have in the top oven or the bottom oven?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Thanks for this.

I have been away for New Year hence not replying sooner.

The problem is with the bottom oven.

The top oven with the grill has not been used much as when I put the grill on, it blows the electrics and RCJ!!!! so I haven`t bothered with it.

If you think, in the end, it can`t be mended/fixed/repaired could you please tell me the litre capacity of the bottom oven and also suggest a Creda replacement model to buy.

Ideally I would like to be able to fix the problem!!! that`s my first choice

Thanks very much

best wishes

Ruth WD

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

No worries. Hope you had a good new year.

As to the fault then its either the thermostat or one of the elements which they are all still showing as avaible so it can still be fixed.

What you need to do in the oven is remove the shelfs and then remove the 2 side panels. They will just lift out from the button and lift them up of the side and remove them.
Behind there you will see an element either side. See if any have blown. If they both look ok then set it going with the side panels off and watch the element. See if they both start to glow red. If one doesnt then its faulty and will need to be replaced. But if both are fine then its the thermostat and that will need to be replaced.

Once its cooled down then refit the side covers as them elements get very hot.

Let me know what you find and i can get the part number for you then.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Daniel!

I have run oven tests and grill tests as follows:

Oven ( done twice)-

Tried 150 degrees: then 180 degrees: then 220 degrees. All 3 temperatures done twice for 15 - 20 minute period of time i.e. repeated.

Result.

The same each time as follows:

Both side elements appear to be fine - no sign of blowing etc. Both sides/elements do not glow red. This is irrespective of temperature reached and checked twice. However, they are hot both sides and giving out heat on both sides for all 3 temperatures and which increases when 220 degrees.

Then I tested the grill - same principle of twice repeated test. The same result both times.

Both elements appear to be fine. They both glow red when turned on.

The Single grill knob set to number 2 blows the RCD after 2 minutes so could not test at 3 or on High.

The Twin grill knob set to High blows the RCD after 2 minutes. However, when the Twin grill knob is set to either 2 or 3 for 15 - 20 minutes, each time, it does not blow the RCD on either setting. So some grill capability on 2 and 3 settings for the Twin knob.

Please advise what I need to do and would be so grateful for parts numbers for oven and grill.

It was also easy to remove and replace the oven sides - brilliant - not done that before !!

Thank you so much for all your help - wonderful. So easy to follow.

best wishes

Ruth WD

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Ok as to the grill tripping the RCD this is will be down to one or both grill elements as when they get hotter the more the element goes down to earth. Were as a grill switch wont really blow the RCD as if it was a faulty switch it will blow as soon as you turn it.

As to the oven its a bot strange how the elements are not glowing red. A when you apply power to them they should glow just like the grill elements.
So from the sounds of this i think you have weak elements and they are ready for going so that could be why its playing up like this.

So to cure this i think you will be best of replacing both grill elements and both oven elements and that should cure the fault.

Click here for the elements on Ebay. They are sold as pairs and looking at this model is showing the grill and the lower oven element as the same. Do they look the same shape?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Thanks - that is what I suspected i.e. that is might be best to replace the oven and grill elements.

The bottom oven elements are not the same as the grill elements. The oven ones are wider in width overall when as they are - on their side. The other difference is that the oven ones have equal length as they go to both ends. The grill ones do not - the return part is less than the full length first run.

However there is no link to the Ebay website you suggest in your answer.

Could you please send it so I can double check it

Thanks very much

Ruth WD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Thank you so much for the links.

Yes, both of those i.e. bottom oven and top grill elements look like what I have.

Does it matter that one is for a 1300w oven and the other for a 1200 w oven?

and

Do you have the Creda parts numbers please? or are they now Indesit ?

I am now going to sign off as I want to watch something on the box!!! so no hurry to respond for you either!

Thanks so much

best wishes

Ruth WD

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok the part number for the grill element is C00233740

And the part number for the oven element is C00233776

These are the new part number on the Indesit/creda database

As to the wattage that difference wont matter. Them elements were none genuine so that will be why its different. The original should be the same wattage.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Thank you so much for all your help.

I have spoken to my super Appliances chap this morning and he will get the parts and fix the new elements in for me.

I am very grateful to you for all your advice - brilliant

That`s it now

best wishes

RthWD