Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi I have a Fridge freezer ZRB632FW. The freezer temperature

Hi I have a Fridge freezer ZRB632FW. The freezer temperature is too high and not freezing. the fridge part seems to working OK. It is sited in a garage
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If you open the freezer door at the very top you will see a vent. Shine a tourch in there and see if theres a build up of ice in there and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No the vent is clear no ice.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok as the fridge section is working then its more then likely the compressor is fine as the fridge on this model isnt frost free so it doesnt get the cooling from the freezer so thats why the fridge is still working.

Its more then likely a frozen fan motor in the freezer as this does happen on these. But the best way to clear it is to fully defrost the applaince. Turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open and this will allow the ice that usually build up around the fan to melt. Then turn it back on and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed this will cure it. But of after the defrost its still not working then you need to access the fan motor in the freezer and check this and if jammed or faulty it will need to be replaced.

Now to access the fan isnt easy on these. You need to rmove the front vent and the back panel inside the freezer on the back wall.
Then remove the 2 screws holding the evaporator box to the roof then you can drop down. The fan is at the back but there isnt much movement from this due to the pipes but you should be able to access it.

But just try the defrost first and see how that goes. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Daniel, I will try that although I think it will take more than 24 hours to defrost. The temperature here is below freezing and the appliance is sited outside in a garage.. I'll get back to you in a day or two to let you know how I have got on.

Ron

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries if it very cold in there then as you say give it 2 days or so.

Regarsd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Have tried your suggestion, switched it back on yesterday. Have put in a small item to see if it freezes so I will know tomorrow. It still doesn't seem very cold.

Could it be that the ambient temperature is too cold and the thermostat is recognising the low temperature and just not switching on? It is sited outside in a garage after all and the problem has only happened since winter has arrived.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok just see how it goes. As to the outside ambient tempture it can be as they are not really designed to work in cold tempertures. But you normally find its the fridge that gives more problems then the freezer if this is the case.

One way to check is to bring the appliance in and run it for 48 hours like this and if it is down to the outside temperture then it should work inside still.

If its still not working through you need to check the fan motor inside the freezer as if this isnt running then it will affect the air flow inside the freezer and can give faults like this as well.

One way to check this is to unplug it and remove the baskets inside the freezer and remove the back panel.
Then feel up the back in the middle and you will feel the fan. Turn this by hand and see if it turns freely or if its stiff. If its stiff to turn then the fan motor will need to be replaced in there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Daniel for your speedy reply. I'll try your suggestion in the morning. It's 8pm here in the UK. I won't be able to get it in the house as I'm somewhat disabled but I'll have a go and examine the fan if it still not working.

If it isn't working I'll just scrap it rather than replace the fan. I would have to call someone out to do that and probably not worth the expense. It is a spare.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

No worries thats fine. As to the time im in the UK myself so thats fine as well.

As to the repair if its just a spare then thats fine as it would cost about £100 roughly for someone to call out and replace the fan so not worth it on a spare appliance.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Just to let you know, the freezer is now working again. I haven't done anything to it so you were almost certainly correct in your diagnosis of a frozen fan.

Ron