canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Television Model RZ32l255 bought in April 2006. Television

Television Model RZ32l255 bought in April 2006.
Television occasionally on switching on makes a terrible very loud noise, resembling the noise obtained when T.V. has no connection to the old terrestial ariel.
As the television is always connected to a Virgin 'V' Box, and turned on at the same time,it must be receiving a signal straight away.
We have narrowed this to the television by segregating the switching on of these appliances. The extraordinary thing about this fault, is if you attempt to turn it off and turn it back on again straight away you get the loud noise again, leave it for 10 minutes and its fine.
Apart from this the television is fine, no problem with colour etc, its perfect all day.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The issue is caused by a capacitor that needs to be replaced on the power supply. If you can electronics solder this is not a difficult thing to do and is not difficult to diagnose. If you cannot electronics solder then it is not really cost effective to repair because of the age and cost of a new power supply replacement.

canuck the pro :

To find the faulty capacitor the back of the television would need to be removed. Inspect the capacitors on the board and any capacitor that is not completely flat on top will be the faulty capacitor. If there is not a visually damaged capacitor then test each capacitor with a volt meter for continuity.

Customer:

Customer:

Hi Mike

canuck the pro :

Hi to you!

Customer:

Hi Mike Thanks for your quick response to the problem, your advice is extremely valuable,in making us consider the purchase of a new television over he repair of the old. Thanks again.

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. You may still comment or ask questions, even after positively rating my service. I will always respond. To avoid having the same result with the new television, I would recommend connecting a surge protection device.