George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Neff Range Oven F3460. /01 problem. When the main oven reaches

Customer Question

Neff Range Oven F3460. /01 problem. When the main oven reaches approx 200 deg C all the power to the oven trips out. The clock display goes blank also. About 10 mins later the clock illuminates and flashes. I then press the time set button and the oven restarts again and continues as normal. Can you suggest what cause of this is. Regards, Rob
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you supply the full ENr & FD of the appliance please

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : The details on the rear of oven are as follows there is no Enr that I can see of. F3460. NO/01 FD8605. Nr 000065 Prod ID NR S10FF - 6W
George-Allsorts :

OK thank you.. There should also be similar information on a label or plate surrounding the oven orifice.. I shall however endeavor to find your appliance with the information given.

I shall come back to you once I have found the information relating to your apliance

George-Allsorts :

Thank you... Your appliance ENr is F3460N0/01 and is dated as May 2006..

A moment or two please whilst I investigate what the problem could be from the diagrams available

George-Allsorts :

Rob, can I ask... If after the oven restarts, you then heat it to 200 degs, does it then trip out once more, or does it continue to a higher degree of heat?

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : Hi George, No it will no go higher we have to lower it slightly to maintain use of the oven. Otherwise it will just trip out again in another 4 to 5 mins
George-Allsorts :

OK.. Next question is.. does this happen on both ovens

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : No only on the main fan assisted oven.
George-Allsorts :

OK.. thanks... Does this happen only on fan assisted setting?

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : George, we are just testing it now as we ways use the fan assist. We have set it to heat top and bottom elements without the fan at the highest setting of 250 C
George-Allsorts :

OK... I am going out for a hour or so.. I shall return to this question on my return

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : George, we tried it without the fan and it was fine on the top and bottom element setting. We then tried the same setting but with the fan and after 10 to 15 mins it tripped out just as when we use our normal setting of Heating element/Hot air which I believe is the rear ring element with the main fan.
George-Allsorts :

OK Rob, In that case can you check that the fan at the back of the oven is operating well and not just rotating slowly

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : Hi George, it operates as normal at a good speed.
George-Allsorts :

Then we have a few more suspects to look at.. the cavity cooling fan, thermal limiter, and the clock are now being discounted as the problem does not arise during cooking by convection oven

This leaves only two possibilities (Element and Selector switch) but only one suspect in my mind, a faulty fan element, breaking down in the insulation as it reaches higher temperatures

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : George, do you suggest I replace the circular element at the back of the oven that is directly in front of the main oven fan?
George-Allsorts :

Yes sir I do... I would have concurred with your thoughts of the safety thermostat / thermal limiter / fire safety device being at fault however, since the problem is not occurring when the convection oven is operating then I have ruled this out

George-Allsorts :

Ask the electrician to do an insulation test on the element.. This may show a leak... but then if you heat until trip then the element will undoubtedly show a leakage

George-Allsorts :

Rob; Having further checked the diagrams .. I have changed my oping inon.. I will consider the thermal limiter a probable cause as it is placed on the rear wall of the oven.. Check this for its temperature cutout limit of 170 deg C .. If it is operating at that temperature, then either you have a leak in the insulation of the fan element or the fan is not distributing the heat fast enough and is causing the element to heat up the back panel of the cooker

George-Allsorts :

I must also warn you that a faulty thermostat could also cause this, as the temperature would increase above the specified limit of the oven operation.. I would use a multimeter to check its operation

George-Allsorts :

Resealing is no a consideration on my mind

George-Allsorts :

We can test some of the items together if you have the right equipment.. do you have this?

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : No but I had it checked previously by an electrical engineer using a Mega instrument. He seemed to think too much hot air was leaking to behind the oven as the white glass wool insulation had brown heat marks on it And he thought it shouldn't get that hot in that area. He also deemed the thermostats on both ovens to be working ok. They were swapped around and the problem still remained, we were aware they are both different in phial size. This doesn't mean he is correct of course. I guess it means replacing these parts until it is eliminated. Would you dismiss the issue of too much heat leaking to the rear via the oven. Surely this is rare!
George-Allsorts :

OK.. firstly.. swap the thermostats back to where they should be.. No doubt they operate at different temperatures or have different properties.

The scorching of the thermal insulation is normal to a degree.. don't worry too much about this..

What I would do in this instant is to place a digital thermometer lead into the area in the back panel where the thermal cutout is.. as soon as the trip occurs, turn on the thermostat to check the temperature and SWITCHING OFF the mains at the oven switch, use a multi meter to check the operation of the thermal cutout and also check the heating element with a Megger,, The thermostat should be no higher than 170 degs C and if lower, the thermal limiter should still be closed circuit ie. have continuity .. The element should not show any leaks

Can I now ask you to rate my assistance.. I will be available for further questions if you need me

JACUSTOMER-w9qllb4h- : I can't continue at present so can't try any of these suggestions till I get the equipment but I am pleased with your assistance. Will I be able to let you know the results at another time after closing our conversation?
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Yes Rob, just use the same link