Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi. We have a CDA 610SS which suddenly started tripping the

Hi. We have a CDA 610SS which suddenly started tripping the main circuit board as it was heating up (ie not directly after turning on). Then that stopped happening, but it wouldn't ever reach the desired temperature after that. It takes over 40 min to reach only 200 deg C. We've changed the fan oven element, but nothing has changed.
Could it be the top element needs changing? Or something else?
thanks.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Which oven setting do you use?

Is it the fan assist setting or the convectional setting?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problem happens with both fan and convectional settings (the fan is definitely going round though because we can hear it and feel the 'wind' with the door open).

We're not sure if the grill is even reaching the correct temperature but can't be sure of that setting.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok from the sounds of it one of the heater elements will be faulty. As on this oven there 3 elements. The fan element, the grill element and theres a base element under the bottom of the oven.

If you have a multileter then you need to pull the oven out and remove the back panel. Look at the bottom and you will see the base element. Test it for contonuity and if faulty it will need to be replaced.

If thats fine then you need to test the grill element. Now a grill is a duel element. The outer section is used for the oven setting and then both the outer and inner is used for the grill. So you need to test this and see if the outer section of the grill is faulty and if so it will need to be replaced.

But as you say the grill isnt get as hot as it should then it sounds like the fault will be with the grill element but if you test it with a multi meter it will show you which is the fault.

If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We do not have a multimeter. If we buy one at B&Q tomorrow and then try what you have suggested, can we rate you after that please?

If so, how would we use a multi meter?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
No worries thats fine.

Another way to check if you want to is set the oven going on convectonal setting and when it starts to heat feel near the grill and see if theres heater comming from the outer section. Becarfully not to touch it as it can get hot quickly and burn. Ive done it plenty of times in the past so i know it hurts.

Also place you hands on the base of the oven and see if its starts to get hot. If you dont feel heat then the base element is at fault.

But if you get an element then set it to Ohms setting and remove the wires on the element but take picture first and place a probe on each tag and see if you get a reading. It should read about 28 Ohms roughly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We've just turned on the grill and only the centre element of the top element went red hot, does that mean that the outer element is therefore not working and it is therefore the top element that is at fault?

I'll also try the base element when the oven cools down.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Yes its sounds like the grill element is the fault as if only the center part got hot then the outer section will be the fault but you need to replace the whole grill element im afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I've just turned on the convection setting and kept my hand on the bottom of the oven and it didn't get hot at all. Could it be both elements gone?

Is it easy to change the base element?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Its possible as one can fail so the other works harder and soon fails.

As to fitting the bottom one its quite simple. Remove the back panel and you will see the wires for it at the bottom.
Either side of the wires will be a screw. Undo them and then you can pull the base element out from there.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.