George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Bosch GS40 vacuum cleaner which I've had for a little

I have a Bosch GS40 vacuum cleaner which I've had for a little under two years, and almost since we've had it the red light starts flashing very soon after switching on, as if a filter was blocked. This happens even within seconds of clearing the conical filter. Is there something I can adjust?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you give me the ENr and FD of the product from the label on the rear / underneath of the product please

Customer:

ENr is BGS4200B/02

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for that

Customer:

FD is 9402 300067

George-Allsorts :

Can you look inside the removable panel at the rear.. there is a few removable dust filters therein.. can you remove them for me please

Customer:

OK, done that

George-Allsorts :

Can you see if any of them are clogged with dust

Customer:

The one called a Micro San I can't see through. The other two seem to be OK - some dust but definitely not what I'd called clogged.

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. Thank you for trying that... can you replace the filters please

Customer:

Done that now

George-Allsorts :

Thanks.. Can you now remove the hose from the front please

Customer:

Done it

George-Allsorts :

Can you turn on the vacuum and use your hand to slowly block the vacuum hose orifice to see at what stage the red light appears

Customer:

Red light isn't coming on at all now

George-Allsorts :

OK.. can you now replace the hose and tell me how long it takes tfor the light to come on

Customer:

Just come on, so about 2 minutes

George-Allsorts :

Can you take off the attachments to the hose and remove the hose from the vacuum please

Customer:

I can't see how to do that; everything seems firmly attached, and there's no obvious release clip. What

Customer:

have I missed?

George-Allsorts :

1 moment please

George-Allsorts :

Sorry, I was on the phone

George-Allsorts :

You have undone the hose from the vacuum yes?

Customer:

yes; nothing else _on_ the hose

George-Allsorts :

OK.. the metal part of the hose is just a push fit

George-Allsorts :

Have you managed to remove it?

Customer:

Still struggling. I found the release catch (not noticed that before), but ... ... aha! got it!

George-Allsorts :

Can you place one end of the flexible hose near to a light source and look through the hose for blockages

Customer:

finally ... it's not blocked

George-Allsorts :

Finally?

George-Allsorts :

You mean the time it took to try?

Customer:

yup. there seems a lot of crud in the metal pipe -- I've a drain unblocker-thing, and it's pushed

Customer:

lots of animal fur and dust down to the pickup-end.

George-Allsorts :

ok.. I would like you to also look at the metal pipe whilst it is off...

The answer to your original question seems to be that your hose and attachment seemed to have had obstructions..

George-Allsorts :

On your model, there is a slide at the top of the handle is there not?

Customer:

yes -- allows the metal pipe to extend to about 2x

George-Allsorts :

On the plastic part.. is there a part that if you slide it you can see into the hose / tube

George-Allsorts :

I have just looked.. there is no one on your appliance

Customer:

ah, good -- i was looking fruitlessly!

George-Allsorts :

Sorry.. on some models the slide is there to ease the vacuum to prevent the problem you had...

Please now replace the parts onto the vacuum and give it another try

George-Allsorts :

How is it working now?

Customer:

I think it's ok now -- it would seem that it's very easily upset by animal hair (we have a pet dog and cat). I had noticed that the "conical filter" almost always had fur round it when the machine had ground to a (near) halt. It's now cleared the "deposits" the dog had dropped when my wife said "let's try on-line".

Customer:

So now I know what to do if/when it happens again.

Customer:

Thanks a lot.

George-Allsorts :

I would print the content of this chat for the future, so that you know exactly what to check and in what order

Please remember to rate my assistance kindly using the smiley faces you can see

Have a Happy New Year

Customer:

(Above I said I had noticed hair around the conical filter when it flashed red. Clearing the filter _didn't give more than a few seconds more cleaning. Will print it all

Customer:

out, but try to remember, too!