Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

Glow worm 24 hxi boiler- there appears to be no electrical

Glow worm 24 hxi boiler- there appears to be no electrical power reaching the boiler. There is power to the programmer. I recently replaced the programmer with an identical one as the boiler has been reluctant to fire up. This solved the problem initially but now there is no display on the boiler lcd
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

.

Plumberpro :

Hinjust checking the manual to see if there is an internal fuse

Customer:

hi,

Customer:

Hi, I have checked the internal fuse on the boiler circuit board and this is ok

Plumberpro :

Ok . have you tried to reset by turning on off button to off for 5 secs then back on?

Customer:

yes, tried that several times. Nothing on LCD display

Plumberpro :

Ok , do you have a mutimeter to test whether there is power going into the boiler?

Plumberpro :

Or voltage tester?

Customer:

yes, got one of those.- just checked and power going into the boiler 240 v

Plumberpro :

Ok . check you have continuity through the overheat stat on the flow pipe . do you have the manual?

Plumberpro :

Hi , do you have a multi Meter?

Customer:

I have got the manual on PDF. Got a multimeter. just need to identify the overheat stat. Where do

Plumberpro :

Hi , it shows it on page 41. Disconnect the wires with power off and check for continuity through it

Customer:

I haven't got access to the actual stat but testing from the circuit board end I have continuity up to and back from the stat on the black wires as shown on the wiring diagram. Do I need to access the overheat stat itself?

Plumberpro :

No that's fine . if that's ok then you have a faulty PCB problem . check all connections first to make sure nothings come loose, also did you check the fuse for continuity?

Customer:

fuse continuity is fine. the board connections seem ok. On rechecking the power into the boiler this seems intermittent suggesting a poor external wiring connection?

Plumberpro :

Could be , definitely worth going back over it all . I have to go out for an hour , sorry , can I leave you with that and chat a little later?

Customer:

No problem. I go over the wiring again and check in later. Thanks

Plumberpro :

Ok , thanks

Plumberpro :

Plumberpro :

How did you get on ?

Customer:

checked everything I can but can't find any obvious wiring fault. I have consistent power going into the boiler but still no sign of life. I think we are looking at a PCB fault as you suggested. Thanks for your help , I am very happy with your advice, Cheers