Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi Hoover WMH168D-80 with door security light which flashes

Hi Hoover WMH168D-80 with door security light which flashes and just keeps on flashing. Have replaced door latch and unit into which latch clicks but no change.
Can you advise.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

When you set it going will the door actually lock so you cannot open it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The door appears to lock and we have tried giving it a fairly firm whack to encourage it, but the little red door lock sign just keeps flashing, it is supposed to flash then stay lit till 2 minutes after the end of the program, why am I telling you that? Anyway it just keeps flashing and nothing else happens.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok if the door is locking but the ligth isnt staying lit then what you need to do is remove the back and from there you will see the carbon brushes in the motor at the back. Take them out and see if they have worn down. If they have then you need to replace them and then see how it goes from there.

But if the brushes are fine then its more then likely the main control board at fault here. Remove the board and just see if theres any signs of burning in there. But even if it looks ok it can still be faulty. So if the carbon brushes are fine and its a new door lock then its more then likely the control board itself at fault here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry I seem to have misled you, it IS possible to open the door when the light is flashing so it cannot be locking.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok no worries. Just ingnore the carbon brushes in the motor as if the door isnt locking then it wont be anything to do with this.

As the door lock is new then it just leaves the control board itself or the wiring to the lock. Im taking it when you replaced the lock the wires looked ok. If they did then im afraid its going to be the main control board at fault here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** what I was afraid of. Is replacing the control board an option for a do it yourselfer?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can replace tehm yourself. As its a case of just swapping the wiring blocks over to the new one.

Just make sure when you buy the board its a programmed board as sometimes they sell none programmed boards for trade that needs the software to program it but if you get a programmed one it should be a stright forward swap.