Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Hotpont WDL540P with a problem. When I press Start

Customer Question

I have a Hotpont WDL540P with a problem. When I press Start it clicks 6 times but does not lock the door and start the programme.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

If the door isnt locking but its clicking like this then you need to check the door lock.

Open the door and remove the metal clamp around the seal and unlip it.
Then you can remove the door lock and then disconnect the wiring.
Then you will need a multimeter to test it. You will see 3 tags in there. Test between all 3 and you should get a reading between 2 of them. If you do the the lock is fine. If you dont then you need to replace the door lock.

If the lock is fine then you need to check the carbon brushes in the motor. As these can actually cause the same kind of fault as well. Pull the washer out and lean it backwards against a wall and get someone to hold for you.

Then lie down and look under the washer. There you will see the carbon brushes. Take them out and see if they have worn. If so then you need to replace them and that should cure the fault.

But if the door lock and carbon brushes in the motor are fine then its possibly the rear control board at fault as these do fail on these washers.

Check the above and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I opted for changing the brushes.it's work ink now and the door problem has gone but it now keeps stopping on the rinse mode. It is making a clunking sound too?

Lee

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Glad to hear its working again after replacing the brushes.
As to the noise and the stopping on rinse have you checked the filter and the impeller to check theres nothing stuck in there?
If not then remove the bottom trim on the front and remove the filter and check this.