George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I'm in the UK and have a Maytag tumble dryer AYE2200AGW. I

I'm in the UK and have a Maytag tumble dryer AYE2200AGW. I recentley replaced the blower wheel (original had split across the back from the shaft hole). Within a few days the dryer has developed a further problem:
When the dryer is switched on it runs for a few minutes then switches off. If I try to restart it, it either is dead or makes a humming noise but does not start. The exhaust out of the vent when it is running is warm and the air in the drum gets warm. I have checked that the blower wheel, pulley wheel and drum are all turning freely and previously cleaned out all lint in vent lines.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your dryer.... My name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you if you still need assistance... Can you confirm that you are still looking for assistance with the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks George. Yes, I'm still looking for assistance.
OK.. you say that you recently replaced the blower wheel.. Can you tell me, were there any parts of the wheel missing that you replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the blower wheel was intact, just a clean split across the solid back (emanating from the shaft hole going out on both sides).
Ok, have you checked that the drum is not binding? To do this, you may need to loosen or remove the belt.. A binding drum will cause the symptoms that you have described..

There is a switch on the motor that can also cause this problem if the switch becomes defective or gets carbnised on the contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks George; I've checked drum, rollers etc and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on its movement. There is a bit of a squeak when you manually turn the motor (which I've put down to lint in one of the bearings?).
Well my next statement on a False reply to that question was going to be that the fault would therefore be with the motor... The appliance turned on at COLD works for a few minutes until such time as the motor becomes warm and the interior parts of the motor then start to fail..

Take off the motor and take it tobe tested as this is the most likely source of your problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it down to remove motor.
You're welcome
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair