KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Hotpoint washing machine Aqualis AQ113F4971UK. Stopped mid

Customer Question

Hotpoint washing machine Aqualis AQ113F4971UK. Stopped mid cycle and tripped out the house RCD. After manually draining and checking the filter for debris the machine was reconnected and found only to trip the current when the door lock was activated. The machine remained energised with the door open. I removed the lock and locked it with a screw driver and found that the machine would run the programs with the door open. I therefore deduced that the problem was with the lock. I ordered and fitted a new lock but the problem remains. Closing the door and pressing the start button trips the RCD.
I am now at a loss as to where the problem lies. Clearly there is a short circuit somewhere and I am beginning to suspect that the main control board is defective although an eye glss inspection has not detected any burn out or faulty connections. I would appreciate your view about where the problem might be and for any advice as to any further checks that I can make. Thank you very much. Mike
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi Mike, welcome to Just answer

Customer:

How old is it and can you please tell me its complete PNC and E nr

JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : Hi thanks for your reply
JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : The machine is dated 21/6/13, so under two years old.
JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : i
JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : If I am looking at the correct label then the PNC is AQF PRA891UK. I am not sure but the only other info on that label is the number 130621892401. You might need to tell me if I am looking in the wrong place!
Customer:

Got it

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

have you tried to clean the drain pump filter assembly ?

JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : an additional bit of information is the a complete disconnection of the lock stops the RCD tripping. Naturally in this situation I cannot tell whether the programs will work even though they show on the lcd display.
JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : I hope this helps.
JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : mike
JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : The drain pump filter has been cleaned.
Customer:

alright Mike however, as you have already replaced the door lock assembly I believe it is fine

Customer:

can you test the element for continuity with a meter ?

JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : Continuity is showing between the positive and negative terminals. I also checked the earth connected to both the pos and neg and continuity is also showing there too! Have I just found the problem?
Customer:

you have checked after it is disconnected completely ... right ?

JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : Yes
Customer:

OK so it seems that the problem is with the heating element

Customer:

can you check all the connections to the element

JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : I agree. I have already checked all the connections and I cannot find anything untowards. I will just have to take out the element and give it a closer inspection. I am a bit pushed for time right now. Will it be ok to let you know what I find when that is convenient for you. Thanks for guiding me through to this point. Your help is much appreciated. It is my sons washing machine so he will be delighted if it can be fixed. Thanks. Mike
Customer:

Sure no problem .... If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ...Thanks

JACUSTOMER-42asdcq0- : Brilliant, will do and thanks
Customer:

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Great Weekend

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin

I just thought that you might like to know that a new heating element arrived this morning and after fitting the to machine it is up and running perfectly again. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

It is interesting to reflect that this machine does not throw up an error code for such an essential component! It would save a lot of time working through the system to find the problem.

Cheers

Mike

Glad it worked for you Mike :) Thank You.