Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a Miele Fridge-freezer KFN12923SD, about 4 years old.

We have a Miele Fridge-freezer KFN12923SD, about 4 years old. Night before last I was aware the compressor was running a lot. The fridge section was way below temperature, all the veg frozen solid, while the freezer was warm. I switched it off over night and for much of next day - no sign of melting ice anywhere. Switched it back on early this morning. The motor is humming but it is not cooling, definitely not the top fridge section and if the freezer is cooling at all it is very little, barely detectable to touch. Is it worth trying to repair or should I just get a new one from a different manufacturer - I ahem had nothing but trouble with Miele for some time now
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

If you press on the back wall inside the fridge section does it feel spongy as you press against it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no, feels pretty firm

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Ok thats fine.

But for the bad news the compressor itself is going to be the fault as it will either need a new comperssor or just a regas.
I asked about the back wall as what happens on these is the evaporator behind there leaks gas and causes this fault but it pushes the liner out and when this happens it cannot be repaired at all.

But as the liner is fine then it should be able to be fixed but isnt going to be a cheap fix. As a new compressor is about £300 all in so an expensive fix. And you will need to get a fridge engineer in to do this as it isnt a diy repair.

If getting a new one to be honest Miele are good but in refridgeration they are the same as other brands as the sealed system are all the same in mieles as in say a bosch. Its just the electronics thats different so personally i would go for either a Bosch or Electrolux applaince as they are just as good and a lot cheaper.

But from what you say about the wall in the fridge being ok then it can be repaired its just not going to be a cheap fix, sorry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

feared as much. Clearly not worth that much. Was looking idly at a Samsung?

One last question - is it at all likely that this will be done by regs, and is that seriously cheaper? I would not want to spend more than say £250 in all, given price of equivalent new ones

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

What you can do is give Miele a ring and tell them its faulty. They will give you the opition of a warrenty for 12 months were they will call out and fix it for a set price. Im not sure on the cost but you may find its around the £250 mark. But if it cannot be fixed they will refund the money and you wont pay for the call out.

There number is 0330(###) ###-####give them a bell and see what options they give you.

As to the samsung there a decent appliance as well.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** *****

bye