Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I have a back boiler in my fireplace and when I light the fire

I have a back boiler in my fireplace and when I light the fire to activate the central heating the is a noise which appears to be coming from the area of the fireplace. It sounds like someone is hitting the pipes with a hammer. It is extremely loud and I have had to switch off the pump and let the fire die out. I have an alternative source of heating ( oil ) so although I can still heat my property I would like to know what is causing the problem. The house was built during 2001 and the previous owner had the back boiler installed in 2007
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

.

Plumberpro :

Hi .sounds like you have bad kettling.with back boilers the pipes are prone to scaling inside due to overheating water as the pump switches off and doesn't overrun to allow thew heat to dissipate. Try a power flush rescale ,but you may have to replace the section of flow and return pipework up to the hot water tank area

Customer:

Obviously this is a job for a plumber. I would not know where to start. will it be a costly process

Plumberpro :

If the pipes are in boxing in upthe side of the chimney breast , you could offer to remove it for them . get a few quotes from recommended plumbers . expect to pay around 200 plus materials