George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Zanussi Upright Fridge Freezer which came with the

Customer Question

I have a Zanussi Upright Fridge Freezer which came with the house we just bought. It is a model #ZX97/5SI. The fridge has stopped working though the freezer is still operating. The temperature alarm sounds sporadically. The green on/off switch does not switch off the unit. I don't know how old the unit is and am wondering if it is worth looking to repair or replace?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you supply me with the PNC of this appliance which can be found on the label inside the fridge.. the number should start with #928405

George-Allsorts :

the number should start with #92840522 and have 3 further numbers.. I will need this to determine which system you have and what has gone wrong with it...

It is usually rather inexpensive to repair these units

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

# ***** ********* 02

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

George-Allsorts :

Sorry I can not see the numbers... can you type them again, but this time place a # ***** in-front of the numbers

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

#928405226-02

George-Allsorts :

Got it.. thanks

George-Allsorts :

Information for the future

Manufacturer: Zanussi-ElectroluxPNC: 92840522602Nov 2004Model: ZX97/5S
George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me .. can you hear the fan running in the rear of the freezer..

You will need to listen quickly as the door is opening as the door opening will switch off the fan.. else wait with the freezer door open for 2 mins before the fan will cut in again

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

Nothing that sounds like a fan. There is just a general hum from the rear of the unit with no appreciable difference whether the fridge or freezer door is open or not

George-Allsorts :

OK.. there is a fan inside the freezer which draws cold air from the evaporator and sends it toward the fridge via a duct beteen the two.. It sounds like this fan is not working

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

I have taken the panel off the inside rear of the fridge and there is no cold air passing the ducts

George-Allsorts :

OK.. there is a fan inside the freezer which draws cold air from the evaporator and sends it toward the fridge via a duct between the two.. It sounds like this fan is not working or the sensor for the mechanical thermostat is defective

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

Remedy expensive in either case? 11 years old unit probably not worth spending money?

George-Allsorts :

One moment whilst I check on the available parts

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

OK Thanks

George-Allsorts :

The cost of the replacement Air Circulation Fan is £70 and the cost of the thermostat with sensor is £35, but then you'll have to pay for labour too

JACUSTOMER-uwfhoi7m- :

Thank you George. I appreciate your expertise.

George-Allsorts :

omeYou a welc

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair