Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

The freezer section of my Fridge/Freezer (Model FC55174FF)

The freezer section of my Fridge/Freezer (Model FC55174FF) has stopped working, although the fridge is fine. Any ideas why that might be and whether there might be something I could just reset?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Theres nothing you can reset to fix this as if you have started to loose the cooling then theres a fault on there.

As its frost free the most common things that happen on these is the evaporator inside the freezer blocks up with to much ice and this effects the air flow around the appliance.
What you need to do is is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel.

There you will see the evaporator. Use a hair dryer and defrost all the ice thats in there and then retry it and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed that should cure it.

But if you remove the panel in the freezer and there isnt any ice in there then the fault will be with the compressor. Its either a blockage in the system or a poor pumping compressor. But for this fault you will need to get a fridge engineer in as this isnt a diy fix. But its not going to be cheap as well as just a regas is about the £150 mark and a new compressor is about £250 so not worth fixing.

But remove the rear panel inside the freezer and see what you find from there and fingers crossed its just ice thats built in there affecting it.

Let me know how it goes and if you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel

Thanks for that advice. I'm at work at present but will try that when I get back. Is there any way I can get back to you later if I need further advice once I've taken the back off? Any idea why the fridge would still be cold but not the freezer? Or rather why the freezer is not colder than the fridge?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
No worries thats fine.
You will have an email and on there is a link back to this thread.

As to why the fridge is working and not the freezer personally i think you may find theres no ice on the evapaorartor due to the system fault. But its pump so gas around it so the evaporator is frosting over a bit so its enough for the fridge to get cold but not enough for the freezer.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI, Daniel

Sorry to bother you again. I tried to remove the back panel but could only get the top half off to reveal the fan (which was clear of ice); I couldn't get the rest off; there appear to be two screws set very deeply inside the molding. Would I need to remove these? I used a hair dryer on the fan and wherever I could and turned up the heating in the utility room where it sits and it does seem to have improved matters but it's still not down to temperature. Any hints on removing that back panel?

Lesley

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Yes you will need to remove them long screws you see and that should remove the panel. But if it's all iced up behind there then that can cause the panel not to move so when this happens then you can only turn it off for 24 hours and deffeost it that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Daniel thanks for the further info. Problem seems to have been sorted but will monitor it and try removing the back panel again if it recurs.

Cheers!

Lesley