Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

It would seem the power supply cord on my Philips GC7220 Steam

It would seem the power supply cord on my Philips GC7220 Steam Generator has slipped out of its clamp, as the three cores are now visible outside the generator unit. As a retired electro-mechanical technician, I almost certainly have both the tools and general expertise to repair this, but an initial attempt to gain access to the relevant area was unsuccessful.
Having removed both visible cross-head screws towards the front of the unit, the base panel still wasn't willing to come off, but I know better than to resort to brute-force and leverage to remove a panel that seemingly doesn't want to shift. So I'm assuming there could well be concealed screws that I don't know about.
There's something deeply recessed towards the rear, but I can't determine for sure whether this is just another screw, or something more critical - such as an adjustable thermostat that I obviously don't wish to decalibrate in error.
It seems absolutely ridiculous to have to box it up, post it off, and pay goodness-knows-how-much for such a simple repair that should never have been needed in the first place, if the clamp, or other means of sheath retention, had been properly tightened or set at manufacture.
Hoping you can help,
Brian
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is pretty easy task, there are clips that also hold the unit together, usually just plastic tabs so the unit really snaps together.
I am trying to see if there is a video or diagram if you cant locate them.
As for that long recessed tube there is a screw in there as well;-)
Let me know how it goes.
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don’t forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day !
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I still couldn't get the base panel off, and looking under a better light there was no screw in the long recessed tube. I again tried a little gentle leverage both at the front and rear, but still to no avail. So I forgot the base and sought entry via a different route.

HERE IS THE SUCCESSFUL WAY TO THE SUPPLY CORD CLAMP:

1) Ensure the unit is unplugged from the mains and place the iron somewhere safe, off the base unit.

2) Remove the three silicone buffers from the iron stand and the three screws now revealed. Lift off the iron stand and set aside.

3) Remove the two further screws you now have access to, and carefully remove the rear cover. This gives you access to the mains cable clamp.

Reassemle in reverse order.

Simples! - once you know how.

With best will in the world, I cannot rate the info you've given as worth £27, as basically I landed up cracking it myself. But as someone who used to be on 'weekend-call-out-standby' I appreciate the fact that you were there.

All best wishes for 2015

Brian

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
All the best Brian Happy new Year! I am glad you got it!
Tech Michael