George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a STOVES dual fuel cooker model number ********* and

I have a STOVES dual fuel cooker model number ********* and the pin holding one side of the grill door has loosened. Is there a way to dismantle the door to effect repair?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you repost that model number as it is starred out... Using a # ***** before the number will allow it to be seen

Customer:

#059056804

George-Allsorts :

Thanks for that... I'll be back in a moment

George-Allsorts :

You are saying that the hinge-bar at one side of the grill door has become loose .. Is that correct?

Customer:

Yes. It's a small pin that connects the hinge to the door - I can see the problem but cannot see how I can access it.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. one moment please

George-Allsorts :

As far as I can see there are screws at the top and at the bottom of the door and once removed the door outer comes off

George-Allsorts :

What is the problem with it?

Customer:

Tried removing all screws but still cannot access the problem. It apears to me that the offending pin should be located in to the spring loaded hinge of the door but I cannot access this pin which is loose.

George-Allsorts :

Can you take a picture and either post it here or send it to my works mobile

Customer:

Will try to do so.

Customer:

Have sent two photos, don't know if you can access them. 1st shows the problem hinge, 2nd shows opposite hinga attached.

George-Allsorts :

The alternative is to remove the side panels of the cooker to release the springs from the hinge-bar.. Once this is done, the bar just slides out of the cooker allowing you to then remove the whole hinge from the door to repair / replace it

George-Allsorts :

no I can't see them

George-Allsorts :

try sending them to my works mobile #07787182156

Customer:

They went to Just Answer - will try again.

Customer:

Done.

George-Allsorts :

Still no images

George-Allsorts :

Got them..

George-Allsorts :

The only way to repair that hinge with a new pin or replace any broken parts inside the door is to remove the side panels of the cooker, release the springs from the hinge-bar, then slide the bar out from the cooker... You'll then have to dismantle the door to get at the inside where you may find damage...

Parts are still available for this model

Customer:

It seems like a lot of work. I could dismantle the door in it's present position - that's the problem, I don't know how.

George-Allsorts :

Have you taken out the inner glass?

George-Allsorts :

Can you take an image of the complete inner of the door and another of the complete outer of the door and send them to me

Customer:

Yes, and removed all screws.

Customer:

Done..

George-Allsorts :

not received.. did you send them to the same number?

Customer:

Yes. Will send again.

George-Allsorts :

ok

Customer:

Done

George-Allsorts :

I got the text.. It says Photo's of door.. but there are no photo's

Customer:

Will do again

George-Allsorts :

Sorry for your problems here.. but I just want to see the doors themselves so that I can see if I can help you any forther

Customer:

Done

George-Allsorts :

I see that you have undone the screws from the handle .. Have you undone the screws from underneath and from on top of the door?

Customer:

I,ve removed all visible screws. Will send further photos to show you my predicament.

Customer:

Have you received 3 more photos?

George-Allsorts :

not yet, but give it a moment, they may yet arrive

George-Allsorts :

Got them.. Have you undone the screws from underneath the hinges?

Customer:

Yes, removed all visible screws. 1st photo shows inner edge of door. 2nd photo shows it from a different angle and 3rd photo shows inside this inner edge. The loose pin is located right inside this inner edge.

George-Allsorts :

Try something for me.. not too viciously as I don't want you to damage the door... Open the door so it is flat, then try to pull the door toward you to see if the hinges will slide out of the door

Customer:

Tried that and the one hinge that's still attached comes out about an inch or so.

George-Allsorts :

It seems that this is the way you remove it .. I cannot say any thing else.. Pull a little harder

George-Allsorts :

Use some form of lubricant

Customer:

I think we're on a different wavelength here George. I don't think I need to remove the door completely, besides it's securley attached by the hinge inside the oven.

George-Allsorts :

I was talking about the hinge sliding out of the base of the door

George-Allsorts :

If the hinge will not slide out from the bottom of the door then I can only suggest reverting to the proper way of doing the job and that is as was described earlier..

George-Allsorts :

I can check to see if anyone else knows of a way to do the job with the door in situ when I get to work tomorrow if you can wait?

Customer:

The door has now come away completely in my hands. It seems I was wrong about this 'pin' attaching it to the hinge. I can't see what attaches it. Just hope I can re-fit it. Speak to you again tomorrow evening.

George-Allsorts :

Leaving you in what way? Hinges on oven, or other?

Customer:

Hinges still on oven.

George-Allsorts :

so you have two long bars sticking out of the bottom of the door.. is that right?

George-Allsorts :

can you send me a photo of what you now have

Customer:

Will do

Customer:

Done

George-Allsorts :

Still waiting for them to arrive

George-Allsorts :

OK.. so that worked.. now what problem are you left with.. can you photo that?

Customer:

Did you get the photos?

George-Allsorts :

yes

George-Allsorts :

two photo's of the part of the door where the hinges fit

George-Allsorts :

so the hinges are now out of the door ready for you to repair them

George-Allsorts :

Can you now get at the part that needs repairing?

Customer:

No. But I now don't think a part needs repairing. All I need to do is re-attach the hinges but I don't see what they re-attach to.

George-Allsorts :

Can you not see from the other side?

George-Allsorts :

The one that is ok

Customer:

Nothing to see on either side of the door what the hinges attach to.

George-Allsorts :

The photo you sent me shows that the hinge screw is still in place and hasn't been removed

George-Allsorts :

Just above the slot

George-Allsorts :

Can you see it?

Customer:

Yes. I'd replaced it. It's out now again but I honestly can't see what it's for.

George-Allsorts :

It holds the hinge that is inside that metal part and stops it from coming out..

Did you remove it before the hinge part came out, or did the part you have come out with the screw in place

Customer:

It came out with the screw in place.

George-Allsorts :

Then the other part of the hinge must still be in the door slot.. can you look

Customer:

There is nothing to be seen and there is nothing loose.

George-Allsorts :

Can you photo what part you said is still attached to the oven

Customer:

Will do

George-Allsorts :

I have the image.. The other part is still inside the door

Customer:

I guessed that, but I just can't see where.

George-Allsorts :

Look down the hollow from the top to the bottom.. I am trying to find you a photo of what it should look like but since the oven is so old i'm finding it difficult

George-Allsorts :

Here is the original kit.. but this kit has been discontinued

Full Size Image

George-Allsorts :

See the pin on the top silver part.. that is the part i believe is still in the door strutt

George-Allsorts :

It is now 10pm and I'm going to get some rest 4:30hrs on one subject is tiring...

If you need me tomorrow, feel free to drop me a note, but I'll be at work, so I'll only be on sporadically

Customer:

Might have found the answer. Going to bed now, work tomorrow. Speak tomorrow evening.

Customer:

George,

Customer:

I figured it out last night how to do it. I now have to take both sides of the oven off, release the springs holding the hinges then attach the hinges to two pins in the door, reattach the door to the springs and replace cooker side panels - all easier said than done. Anyway, thanks for all your assistance last night - bet you're glad to see the back of me.